New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLANs tagging

SOLVED
Go to solution
Elad_2
Occasional Advisor

VLANs tagging

Hello,

I have win2k servers network connected to these VLANs. I use HP 4000m switch.
I currently have the following configurations:
network A - VLAN A
network B - VLAN B
network C - VLAN C

In the VLAN port assignment menu, everything is "no". Each port range in the switch is defined "Untagged" in appropriate VLAN (network A - VLAN A, etc.).
Works fine, networks can't talk/see each other.

I recently added win2k server management console who needs to access all ports/VLANs. I defined this port "tagged" in all VLANs (a, b, c).
I enabled 802.1p/802.1q in the management server. The network adapter is Intel Pro 100.

The port can't ping noone in the other VLANs. only If I make it "untagged" in a specific VLAN. And since I can't "untag" in more then one VLAN, I don't have many choices.

I thought that the network adapter is problematic, I tried another Intel Pro 100, newer, network adapter.
still nothing helped.

Most of the configuration is Out Of Box, nothing special.

Can anyone help ? Any ideas ?
10 REPLIES 10
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

It appears that Win2k does not understand VLAN tagging very well. It is able to strip the tagging off but doesn't seem to be able to put it back on when it sends from what I've read. The Windows page talks of an intermediate driver which can do this but never says where to get one. They do tell you how to write one and give an example of how to store the tagging info and vlan numbers in the registry. In the capabilities chart they show VLAN Tagging and it is only checked under XP. See my reply at:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x3399e3ed7640d71190080090279cd0f9,00.html

Could you put three NICs in the server and assign each to a different VLAN? Or do you have a router which sees all three VLANs?

Ron
Elad_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

First, thank you very much for your response.
I plan using more than 3 VLANs. maybe 5, maybe more, so I can't put that amount of NICs on my server.

Isn't there a service pack/patch that can help me ? Isn't the driver of my network adapter good enough ?
Why do I need tagging at the server end at all ? the switch is the one tagging the packets, let it remove them.

thank you,
Elad.
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

This is what Compaq says about tagging:

"Q18. Do Compaq ProLiant network adapters support 802.1Q (also known as VLAN tagging)?
A18. VLAN tagging is fully supported under Novell NetWare, but only partially supported under Microsoft Windows 2000. For Windows 2000 environments, ProLiant network adapters only support VLAN tag stripping. Tag stripping means that the Compaq network adapter will remove the VLAN tag field from a received frame and process the frame up the protocol stack. Compaq network adapters will insert the VLAN tag field into the frame if an upper layer protocol provides the VLAN tag information. However, Compaq network adapters will not originate the VLAN tag information. The driver does not affect a frame that is transmitted with a tag."

Intel, however, may be able to help you:

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/ans/ieeevlans.htm

It seems that their driver is willing to do VLAN tagging so you might try one of their cards. Also Sagatek and SysKonnect claim to do VLAN tagging.

Most of the newer gigabit adpaters seem to support tagging. It is harder to find 100M NICs which do tagging tho Intel's Pro100 seems to promise it. You will need to install their ProSet management software.

Ron

Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

Why not invest in a small router with two fastethernet interfaces and use one of them as an ISL trunk and the other connected to the server!
A Cisco 1700 would do the trick.
Elad_2
Occasional Advisor

Well, I don't have the money for cisco. but where can I find more about ISL configurations ?
Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Duh. Sorry, I just reread your original post. I see you do have an Intel Pro 100. All you may need to do is use the latest driver and make sure you install Intel's PROSet at the same time.

"Configuring VLANs in Microsoft Windows*
In Windows, you must use Intel?? PROSet to set up and configure VLANs. For instructions, see the Intel PROSet Help. To access Help, open Intel PROSet and click the Help menu at the top of the screen.

The following versions of Microsoft Windows support Intel PRO adapters when configured for VLANs:
Windows NT* 4.0 (with Service Pack 6a or later)

Windows 2000

Windows XP Professional

Intel PRO Adapters do not support VLANs on Windows 98 or Me.

In Windows 2000 and XP, you cannot re-enable a VLAN once it has been disabled. To re-enable the connection, you must disable all adapters, then restart the server.

CAUTION: Use Intel PROSet to add or remove a VLAN. Do not use the Network and Dial-up Connections dialog box to enable or disable VLANs. Otherwise, the VLAN driver may not be correctly enabled or disabled.
NOTE: Intel Itanium???-based systems support only Windows XP."

I see there are also some boot ROM updates avaialble for the 100s on the Intel website. Depending upon how old the card is you may need to update its boot ROM.

You can get a combined driver and PROSET for WIN2000 from Intel's website

http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/pro100/31351.htm

Ron

PS if you still can't get it to work then you may just have a card that is too old. Instead of using a Cisco you can use an old PC and run LINUX on it.
http://www.planetconnect.com/vlan/

Elad_2
Occasional Advisor

I installed the latest drivers for my NIC, I also installed PROSet.
However, I don't have an option to add vlan IDs. I only have an option to Enable/Disable 802.1q tagging.

Do I need a newer card/software ? If so, can you recommend one ? (Intel preferred)
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Exactly which Intel card do you have? Does it have a part number or any letters after the 100? These are PCI cards aren't they? Does PROSet tell you what version of ROM it has on it or anything else about it?

You are running PROSet and trying to enable the VLAN from that, right?

Ron