108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VLANs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Grant Carmichael
Occasional Advisor

VLANs

I want to make sure I├в m understanding VLAN trunking correctly. In the attached diagram, would the following be true?

Diagram A

5308xl:

The white VLAN would have port 3 untagged.
The red VLAN would have port 4 untagged.
The Blue VLAN would have port 4 tagged.

2626:

The red VLAN would have both ports 2 and 4 as untagged.
The blue VLAN would have port 1 as untagged and port 4 as tagged.

Diagram B

Assuming the blue VLAN has too many hosts, and another switch must be added.

5308xl:

The white VLAN would have port 3 untagged.
The red VLAN would have port 4 untagged.
The blue VLAN would have port 4 tagged.

2626 A:

The red VLAN would have both ports 2 and 4 as untagged.
The blue VLAN would have port 4 tagged and port 1 untagged.

2626 B:

All ports on 2626 B belong to the blue VLAN.
5 REPLIES 5
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi

In Diagram B you are talking about adding a new Switch 2626B for the Blue Vlan only, and so your seup is correct since all its ports belong to the Blue, and on the 2626A it has a port untagged whihc is correct.

Now for the rest of the setup, i noticed that on the 5300 yo uhave a white Vlan and not on the 2626A.
If you want the white Vlan traffic to carried to the 2626A, then you should tag or untag this Vlan on port4-5300, and port4-2626A.
Tagging means carry Vlan traffic between switches, and it recommended to untag the default Vlan, and tag the rest of the Vlans.

Good Luck !!!

Science for Everyone
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Hi Mohieddin,

It might be misleading to some people to just say untag the default VLAN and to tag the rest of the VLANs. (It is true however that all ports are configured untagged in the default VLAN straight on a switch that has come straight out of the factory.)

To explain it in an overly simplified manner, an untagged port is native to a particular VLAN (where a host will connect to) and a tagged port will carry traffic for multiple VLANs (inter-switch links).

Of course this will change slightly depending on what of setup you have, for example if you have VOIP implemented and the PC and phone are sharing a common port on the switch and you require them to be on different VLANS, but that is a topic for another discussion...
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi Joel

I understand that, thanks :)

The problem is, you have to talk either in Cisco terms and everybody knows about it, or the Standards terms.
Its really confusing, especially when you want to integrate some Standard based network with Cisco based network, and struggle with the terms, Untag=Access port, Tag=Trunk Port, Default_Valn=Native_Vlan .....

Anyway, the Standard is our Guide line, and we should always follow the standard,
Then at least somebody will understand :)

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Grant Carmichael
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Guys. I setup a POC in my office using a procurve 2626, 2524, and a catalyst 2950. It worked great.
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Hi Grant - good to know you're up and running!

Hi Mohieddin - since it was a HP forum I thought I should keep it to HP terminology but you are right, why does the same thing require 2 or 3 different names? :)