Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VRRP active/active?

groque
Frequent Advisor

VRRP active/active?

Hi all,

Just wondering is it possible to configure a VRRP active/active scenario.

I have done this with HSRP by deploying 2 groups and it worked fine group 1 Active Passive group 2 Passive Active.

I am wondering if this is possible with the HP VRRP side of things.

Thanks

4 REPLIES
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Re: VRRP active/active?

Basically yes.

You can have router1 being active for say 1/2 of your networks (vlans) and router2 be on backup state, and then have router2 be active for other 1/2 of networks(vlans) and router1 be in backup state.

VRRP is the IETF standards based router redundancy protocol and operates similar to HSRP (Cisco proprietary).

hth...Jeff
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Groque

Exactly the same concept woudl apply. You might want to look at MSTP then as well.

groque
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for your responses.

In regards to Jeff's comments can I have all VLAN(s) on both switches and the switches decide to load balance traffic from the access layer switches

I don't like having one switch handle half the network and the other switch handle the other. I want both switches to handle the entire network and load balance traffic.

That way if one switch does go down half the network doesn't go down and one switch is responsible for all the routing.

Thanks

Graham
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

groque said:
In regards to Jeff's comments can I have all VLAN(s) on both switches and the switches decide to load balance traffic from the access layer switches

I don't like having one switch handle half the network and the other switch handle the other. I want both switches to handle the entire network and load balance traffic.

That way if one switch does go down half the network doesn't go down and one switch is responsible for all the routing.
---

VRRP does not have the GLBP that HSRP does, so no you cannot run VRRP the way you describe.

HP has added a few extra's to VRRP support, check out their latest relnotes.

hth...Jeff