1748252 Members
3999 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VRRP in 5300xl series ?

Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

VRRP in 5300xl series ?

There is VRRP support in 5400zl series with Premium License.

What about 5300xl series?

Any advice will be welcomed !

Good luck,
Dmitry.
6 REPLIES 6
Leo Katona
Occasional Advisor

The 5300xl doesn't support VRRP, but it does implement HP's own XRRP (XL Router Redundancy Protocol) which is similar.

The major practical limitations in XRRP vs. VRRP are that

- XRRP allows only two devices to back up each other, whereas VRRP supports a maximum of 255 physical routers per virtual address;

- an XRRP failover causes all virtual addresses to fail over at the same time -- that is, if any one virtual router fails, all of the virtual routers will fail over to the backup device; in VRRP all virtual routers operate independently;

Also, there seem to be some implementation problems in XRRP. In particular, new IP interfaces won't work unless you disable and re-enable XRRP (at least on the 3400cl/6400cl series) globally on the switch. This only takes a few seconds, but during that time traffic on other XRRP-enabled subnets may be disrupted temporarily, since the XRRP virtual MAC address gets removed.

Since VRRP instances for different subnets operate independently from one another, making changes to one router interface typically has no effect on others.

XRRP is explained in detail in the Advanced Traffic Management Guide for the 5300xl series: http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/5300xl.htm

-leok
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

Thank you, Leo !

I know that.
But I still have a question:
What prevent HP ProCurve from implementing VRRP on 5300xl series ?

Good luck,
Dmitry
tomastomas
Occasional Advisor

As far as I know, there is a pool of MAC adreses assigned to the switch and since VRRP requires special exactly defined MAC address for each VRID, 5300 can not support that. This limitation is not on newest products, such as 3500/6200/5400.
Bergonzoni
Occasional Advisor

Hi, I have an old 5300xl and I want to buy a new 5400zl.
Could you tell me if I can use redudancy at level 3, with xrrp or vrrp in 5300xl and 5400zl?
Regards
Marco Bergonzoni
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

Hi, Bergonzoni !

Please open a new disscussion thread with your question.

Good luck,
Dmitry
Dmitry G. Spitsyn
Trusted Contributor

The problem is fixed.