Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748179 Members
3891 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vlan's on a 5308 and an external cisco router

Jeremy Brown_7

Vlan's on a 5308 and an external cisco router

I was wanting to tie in a Cisco 3725 to a Procurve 5308 and have the router do intervlan routing. Here is the Cisco setup:
int fastEthernet 0/0
int fastEthernet 0/0.1
encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
ip address 10.10.10.1 255.255.255.0
int fastEthernet 0/0.2
encapsulation dot1Q 2
ip address 10.10.11.1 255.255.255.0

Can the 5308 support the subinterfaces? Do I need to do anything special to the Procurve?
5 REPLIES 5
Regnar Bang Lyngs├╕_2
Frequent Advisor

Just make sure that the Procurve has the vlans defined. Can't remember the exact syntax - but something like (if A1 is the port connecting the Procurve to the Cisco router):

vlan 1 untag A1
vlan 2 tag A1

Why don't you let the 5308 do the routing?

Regards
Regnar
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

You would need to tag the interswitch links, (This uses 802.1q tagging) and define the same VLANS on the 5300 as the Cisco switch.

That way all inter-VLAN traffic will be passed to the Cisco box and routed there.
Where there is a will there is a way...
Jeremy Brown_7

Thanks for the responses. I forgot to ask one other question. There is a 5308xl attached to the main one via a trunk. Since it is trunking, will 802.1q pass down to the other switch or do I need to do something specific to the trunk?
Jonathan Axford
Trusted Contributor

Hi Jeremy,

You would also need to tag the trunked link in all of the relevent VLANS, this ensures that all of the inter VLAN traffic will get passed between the switches.

The syntax is simple, go into VLAN config mode and :

switch(Config-Vlan)#tag trkx

Do this for all of the VLANS that you want to pass traffic for,

Cheers
Where there is a will there is a way...
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

just remember that what cisco calls a "dot1q trunk" has no equivalent name in hp procurve verbage.

your config tells the cisco switch not to tag vlan id 1 but tag vlan id 2. so for the procurve port that connects to the cisco dot1q trunk port, make sure that the procurve has the correct tag/untag setup.

also, are you using cisco port channels to connect with the procurve? procuve calls them "trunks". not to be confused with the cisco dot1q trunks.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.