1753388 Members
6930 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vlans problem on procurve 1800-8G

Gianfelice Catini

Vlans problem on procurve 1800-8G

Hi all,
I'm quite new in vlans and I have a problem. I'm using a procurve 1800-8G switch in a network with four vlan (vlan1, 2, 3, 4). I connected the procurve 1800 with a router that support vlans (rvs4000 linksys) with a trunk port (trunk on the router's switch and trunk on the procurve 1800). The trunk is on port 1 and 8 of the procurve switch. On the procurve 1800 I used ports as described below:

trunk on ports 1,8
vlan2 on ports 1,2
vlan3 on ports 1,3
vlan4 on ports 1,2,3,4

On the port 2,3,4 I have three pcs, so ports are configurated as below:

2)
- be aware of vlans
- ingress filtering
- packet type all, pvid 2

3)
- be aware of vlans
- ingress filtering
- packet type all, pvid 3

4)
- be aware of vlans
- ingress filtering
- packet type all, pvid 4

ports 1 and 8 (trunk ports) are:
- be aware of vlans
- ingress filtering
- packet type tagged only

I thought with that configuration vlans 1 and 2 were isolated while vlan4 was visible from vlan1 and 2. I tried to ping one of the three pcs from any of the above vlans and I can ping it, but I dont want this behaviour. I would that vlan1 is not reachable from vlan2 and viceversa, while vlan4 is reachable from vlan1 and vlan2 and viceversa.

What's wrong? Thank you all fro your help.

Ps. Router has vlan2,3,4 tagged on the fourth port that is used as trunk to the procurve switch.
4 REPLIES 4
Gianfelice Catini

help ppls :(
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

There is nothing wrong with the configuration on the ProCurve 1800 switch.

Remember its a L2 Web-managed switch, and all your game should be played on the Router who is doing routing.

I think your Linksys device is also a stateful Firewall. and hence you can create policies to do any kind restriction between the Vlans.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Gianfelice Catini

yes, you are right. I think later about the problem and I understood that I must disable inter routing between vlans from the router and then set up manually the routes I desire on the network. Thank you very much for your confirm.
Rufguy

I am trying to accomplish the same thing (multiple vlans with ability to communicate between vlans using external router) and your post is extremely helpful. Our only differences is that I'm using a Sonicwall NSA 240 to do the routing between the vlans.

Sonicwall documentation tells me to connect one of the interface ports on the 240 to the Trunk Port on the switch. Given the limitations of the switch, I can't configure a particular port as a trunk port, whatever that means (kinda a noob to this).

However, you put your trunk on ports 1 & 8 with port 1 a member of all vlans. So, which port (1 or 8) was/is connected to the router? Guessing 1 as it's a member of all vlans?

Help and thank you in advance.