Go to solution
Glen Van Lehn
Frequent Advisor

VoIP and HP switches - issues?

6 REPLIES 6
Glen Van Lehn
Frequent Advisor

Re: VoIP and HP switches - issues?

My college wants to make a large Voice-over-IP install. I've got (2) HP 9308's at my core, GB fiber to HP 9304's as distrib, and 4000M's at the edge.

Has any one installed any vendor's VoIP solution on like infrastructure and run into real trouble ?

Has anyone had or heard of a multicast limit on the non-JetCore 930x switches that will core dump the boxes ?

trying to separate wheat from vendor chaff with your help!

thanks in advance,
glen van lehn

[ps: apologies for false start to the query... (%^s]
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Hi:

Here's a link to Internet Telephony magazine's list of best products of 2002.
http://www.tmcnet.com/enews/121002a.htm

At the bottom of that same web page, you can subscribe to Internet Telephony magazine.

Here's the link to the magazine's home page: http://www.tmcnet.com/it/

I hope this helps you a bit.

Roger
Make a great day!

Roger
Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

I was participating in installing a test installation with two Cisco Call Managers, two Cisco VG200 routers and some IP-phones (can't remember which ones).
It seemed that when making an outside call and the other side is not picking upp within two signals, you got disconnected!
Forgive me for not knowing more details of the problem nor even the solution, but I think it's worth asking your vendor if they know more about.
I do know that Cisco took the problem seriously and promised to fix it.
/M
Glen Van Lehn
Frequent Advisor

Roger, I appreciate the links, but I'm asking if anyone here in the forum has VoIP already running on an HP ProCurve infrastructure and if there are issues relating to limits built into the switch.

Marcus, thank you, sounds like Ciso took ownership of the problem. May I ask if you also have cisco switches or HP ProCurve?

We have multiple vendors under eval. One has specifically said the 930x series has known problems. I am very interested to know if anyone has actually heard of and/or experienced those problems.

And Thank you for any replies.
gle
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

If you go to:

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/93xx_6308.htm

and read

Release Notes for Versions 06.6.33 and 07.1.22
(March 2001)

on page 46 where they are talking about bugs fixed you will see that under certain conditions with regard to IP Multicast the switch would reset. So I expect the vendor was telling you the truth but not the whole truth since it appears that the error was corrected over 2 years ago. (What version are you running?)

That's about all I can add to the story. We use voice over frame relay (memotec) over our satellite network so I don't have much experience with VOIP.

I would like to say that for best results insist on a 4W E&M or DS1 (T1/E1) connection to your PBX. Less echo and a certain disconnect which is not guaranteed if you use loopstart.

Ron
Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

Well the platform was all Cisco, but to be honest I don't think it would matter what type of hardware.
You could pratically run VoIP on whatever you want, but if you want kvality you perhaps need to implement some kind of QoS which 93xx fully supports.

The main concern when installing VoIP is that the phones and server/routers that handle the actuall calls funktion properly.