Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753944 Members
8919 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Voice Modem

Moani

Voice Modem

I need a voice modem for my computer. I currently have the Lucent Win Modem (XP), but I have absolutely no clue as to how to change my modem. I dont know if I have to download and install an entirely new one or if I can simply update the current. I also have no idea what proper driver update or new modem I need and how to install it. Another words...I'm completely clueless, but this is extremely important. PLEASE HELP ME!!!
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Re: Voice Modem

What kind of PC? Desktop or Notebook?

You may be able to download a newer driver but if the Win Modem was not designed to also do voice then it's not going to do voice. Can't say without knowing which exact model you have.

Desktops can accept PCI Modem cards, notebooks need PCMCIA (Card Bus). Both can use external serial or USB modems but the serial ones may not do the voice stuff.

Would help if you would explain exactly what you want to do with your voice modem.

Ron
Moani

I have a HP Desktop computer...725n. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition. The modem I currently have is the Lucent Win and the driver has been updated. I am assuming that my current modem doesn't support Voice and that a "driver" update won't do the job, because after installing the Modem Spy software I get an error saying my modem doesn't support voice lol. My husband and I have been advised by our lawyer to install a phone recording device, so it is very important that we do so. I understand that I might have to buy a completely new modem, which I am fine with, but I want to know which one to buy. I want advice from someone who won't be swayed by a "sale". So, please help! Thank you so much.
Moani

BUMP!