1753424 Members
4604 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Voice VLAN on HP2626

Van Quintero
Occasional Advisor

Voice VLAN on HP2626

Hi, I would like to ask on how to configure Voice VLAN on HP2626 switch. I already upgraded its firmware to H.10.38 for voice vlan support. I configured one port with:

Data VLAN: untagged
Voice VLAN: tagged

The problem is my IP phone is not acquiring the voice VLAN IP address instead it is getting the Data VLAN. Is there a trick into this or I've missed out something on the configuration?

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

It depends on the phone how this works.

Some get an IP address in the data VLAN, but on the DHCP server you then configure DHCP options which then tell the phone which VLAN to use.

What phones are you using?
Van Quintero
Occasional Advisor

I've already configured the ip helper address (Cisco VLAN command) on my backbone switch to point to the correct DHCP server on every VLAN.

It's working on my Cisco switches but on the HP switches they're acquiring the same Data VLAN.
ekm101

To configure the phone for use in the ProCurve, the auxiliary VLAN must be set to Voice VLAN (VLAN 52 in this example). On the phone:
├в ┬в Press the setting button (the one that looks like a box with a check in it)
├в ┬в Select network settings
├в ┬в In the network settings menus, highlight the administrative VLAN and
├в ┬в Enter administrative mode (i.e. press ***# on the old 7940/7960 phone and **# on newer phones to unlock the settings)
├в ┬в Change the operation and administrative VLANs to your voice VLAN (52)
├в ┬в Save this setting and reboot the phone.
This will put the phone in the Voice VLAN and allow for prioritization of the Voice traffic.
ekm101

Sorry I have assumed your using Cisco handsets
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

I would say that's right, you may have to manually configure the phones for now. Most likely the phones are relying on CDP to find the voice VLAN.

If they are Cisco phones, I believe there is LLDP-MED firmware available for them now which may allow the phones to discover the ProCurve LLDP voice VLAN.
Van Quintero
Occasional Advisor

Thanks ekm101. Yes I'm using Cisco IP phones. So I'll have to do something on the phone to make it work.

I'll try your instruction and we'll let you know of the result. Thanks again.
Van Quintero
Occasional Advisor

Hi Matt! I'll also look on your notes and will do some readings on the Procurve LLDP-MED.
Raymon van der Meijden
Occasional Advisor

Did somebody already did this succesfully.

Im trying to do this using a Cisco 7960 with firmware SIP P0S-8-12-00 on a HP Procurve 2624-PWR but without any success so far.

vlan 14
name "Voice"
untagged 18
no ip address
qos priority 7
tagged 1-17,19-28
voice
exit

and

lldp enable-notification 1

But the phone is not getting the voice vlan.

Raymon van der Meijden
Occasional Advisor

Sorry i mean a
ProCurve J9087A Switch 2610-24-PWR R.11.30