Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753450 Members
5878 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Voip VLAN configuration

R. Dirksen

Voip VLAN configuration

I have a rather simple small office environment with a limited amount of UTP cabling.
See attached drawing.

We are switching to VOIP with phones with a built in hub. (Grandstream 2010). By doing this no new cabling is required because workstations connect to the Voip phone and the phone connects to the ProCurve 2524 switch.

I want to separate the voice traffic from the workstation traffic by setting up vlans in the 2524.
The phones get a fixed IP in the 10.0.0.x range and workstations get via DHCP a IP in the 192.168.1.x range.

So the ports connecting phones and PC's must be in 2 vlans, so must be set to tagged.
The rest of the ports are in only 1 vlan and can be untagged. Is this correct?

My Phones support tagged vlans, I can specify a layer 2 QoS 802.1Q vlantag (voip traffic) and I can specify 3 data VLAN tags (data traffic).
So if I define a vlanID nr 3 on the switch dedicated for the VOIP traffic and a vlanID nr 2 for data traffic, and put the port in both vlans it should work. Is this correct?

All ports are still marked Untagged in the Default Vlan. Do I have to remove the ports with phones attached from the Default VLAN.
6 REPLIES 6
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

Re: Voip VLAN configuration

your assumptions are basically correct, just a few clarifications :-)

here is a sample config:
--------
vlan 1
ip addr 192.168.1.1/24
untag 1-23

vlan 2 name voice
ip addr 10.0.0.1/24
untagged 23 ;for voice server
tag 1-24

--------
set the phones to "speak" tagged frames (802.1Q) on vlan 2, with a 802.1p QoS setting - usually 6...

---------
basic rules of operation:
1) a port has to have a vlan home, either untagged or tagged
2) a port can only be untagged in a single vlan at a time
3) a port can be jointly tagged and untagged
4) a port can be tagged as many times as they are vlans
5) procurve switches preserve any 802.1p QoS value (in a 802.1Q tagged framed) coming into the switch, therefore no QoS setting required if staying inside a LAN

for ref, that 2524 has only to hardware queues mapped to 8 levels of QoS:
o - QoS 0,3,1,2 map to queue1
o - QoS 4,5,6,7 map to queue2

many of the switches of 3-6 years ago have 4 queues, and most of the newer switches have 8 queues...

hth...jeff
R. Dirksen

From your answer I gather that you do not tag the PC traffic (although it is possible). I can understand that, all untagged traffic stays in the DefaultVlan.

What about the following config.

---------------
vlan 1
ip addr 192.168.1.1/24
untagged 1-16
untagged 23 ;for fileserver
untagged 24 ;for datarouter

vlan 2 name voice
ip addr 10.0.0.1/24
tag 1-16 (Phones and PC's via phone)
untagged 17 ;for voice server
untagged 18 ;for voice router

All PC's not connected via a phone (and servers and datarouter) must connect to an untagged port in vlan 1. this avoids broadcast messages of vlan 2 on these ports.

All phones (without a PC attached) (voice server and voice router) must be connected to a port which is (at least) tagged in vlan 2 which avoids receiving vlan 1 broadcasts.
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

R. Dirksen said:
All PC's not connected via a phone (and servers and datarouter) must connect to an untagged port in vlan 1. this avoids broadcast messages of vlan 2 on these ports.

All phones (without a PC attached) (voice server and voice router) must be connected to a port which is (at least) tagged in vlan 2 which avoids receiving vlan 1 broadcasts.
--------------
there is nothing at all wrong with your proposed config :-)

note, each vlan's broadcast messages are not seen on any other vlan...

so by having all ports in both vlans (except the voice server, etc), moving phones/computers around and/or dual connections to a single port are much easier...requires less "switch maintenance" for all those potential moves/changes...

either config should work just fine for your network...

hth...jeff
R. Dirksen

Hi Jeff, thanks for yr help.

testimplementation on thursday I hope. I'll keep you posted.

Rob
R. Dirksen

first phone and PC configured according to my own config.
Seems to work.

Jeff Carell said:
set the phones to "speak" tagged frames (802.1Q) on vlan 2, with a 802.1p QoS setting - usually 6...
for ref, that 2524 has only to hardware queues mapped to 8 levels of QoS:
o - QoS 0,3,1,2 map to queue1
o - QoS 4,5,6,7 map to queue2

you said something about hardware queues. Do I have to configure something on the 2524 to use/enable these queues. What I understand from this is that it does not matter wether I set my phone to level 4,5,6 of 7. All the voip traffic will end up in this one queue.

Thanks again.

Rob
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

R Dirksen said:
you said something about hardware queues. Do I have to configure something on the 2524 to use/enable these queues. What I understand from this is that it does not matter wether I set my phone to level 4,5,6 of 7. All the voip traffic will end up in this one queue
-------------

no, you don't configure which priority levels are mapped to which queue, that is built-in...

merely understand if you need more QoS granularity and function within the switch, you will need a different switch that provides 4 or 8 queues...and/or re-define the traffic to different QoS priority levels so the traffic is processed in different hdwe queues...

meaning, if you had voice traffic at QoS pri 6, and video at QoS pri 7, in this switch (and switches with 4 hardware queues) both types of traffic will be processed in the switch in the same queue...

glad to hear its working :-)

hth...jeff