5472 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Wake On LAN on ProCurve 2626

gene_hp

Wake On LAN on ProCurve 2626

Hi everyone,
New here.
I just started working with Procurve switches and would like to know how to check and/or enable the switch to use the Wake on LAN feature (using web, manager or CLI)
I know it's been covered here before and I found several threads:
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1166338
and
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1157934
and few others.... but nothing works for me
I'm running H.10.83 on the switch.
The following command does not work
aaa port-access all controlled-direction in
Do I need to set port-security to something other than default for this to work?
Is there a command that will tell me if WOL is enabled on a ProCurve switch?
Any advise will be appreciated.

Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4
Sietze Reitsma
Respected Contributor

The controlled-direction feature will be used if you have setup access-control (802.1x). I'm not sure this is the case in your situation.

out of the box in a default configuration Wake on lan should work. I don't know if port-security effects the WOL operation.

maybe you can attach your config and drawing of the setup.
gene_hp

Thanks for the response.
This setup is as close to the "out-of-the-box" as it gets:

; J4900B Configuration Editor; Created on release #H.10.83

hostname "ProCurve Switch 2626"
snmp-server community "public" Unrestricted
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
untagged 1-26
ip address dhcp-bootp
exit

It's just a switch sitting on my test bench. Nothing has been configured on it.

I have one PC hooked up to the switch. "Wake on Settings" are set to Wake on ALL for the NIC.
REMOTE WAKE UP in BIOS are set to ON w/Boot to NIC.
I'm using SolarWinds WAKEONLAN utility from a different computer, hooked up to a different switch, to send the magic packet to this test client.

Thanks
Sietze Reitsma
Respected Contributor

This should normally work without any problem. If you have any issue. test first on the HP 2626 only. If this is succesfully then you need to figure out what is happening on the other switch.
gene_hp

I have two computers hooked up directly to the switch: my laptop and another desktop Dell that's turned off.
In the Wake-On-LAN utility on my laptop, I punch in the MAC address of the desktop pc, as well as the IP address that was assigned to it. I hit "Wake UP PC" and it just sits at the "monitoring IP. Not powered up yet".

If I do the same thing while both computers are up, I get a message from the Wake On LAN utility saying that the client machine is already up, so there is a connection between them, just not when the client is down.

I was hopping there was some type of command that would tell me if it's setup or not.