Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748053 Members
4725 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Wake-On-LAN with HP Procurve 5300xl's

Chemosh667

Wake-On-LAN with HP Procurve 5300xl's

We are having problems with getting WoL to work with our Procurve 5304's we have in our facility. I have turned on IP directed-broadcast trying to get this to work, but this shouldn't matter as the WoL function is needed within the same VLAN on the same chassis, with no routing or even switch trunking involved. Note that it is only our HP switches that seem to block magic packets, as we have tested with our smaller, generic switches we have laying around. LACP was turned on and off, as was broadcast control, but to no effect. I've never really tried to use WoL on a Procurve network, and the lack of problems with other vendor's gear has meant that I've never had to research it much, and as a result I am not too familiar with it's specifics as a protocol.
7 REPLIES 7
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

What you need for the magic Packets is enabling the IP directed broadcast and that you have done,
So if you can attach a copy of your 3500 configuration that will be helpfull to determine.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Chemosh667

Note that this is heavily edited due to brevity and our internal policies, and the 5304xl that it comes from is in our lab, and as such is not a production configuration. However, this is the device I'm trying to get it to work on first, then I'll figure out how to roll out the changes to our production devices.

; J4850A Configuration Editor; Created on release #E.10.44

hostname "HPDistSw2"
max-vlans 64
broadcast-limit
time timezone -480
no cdp run
module 1 type J4820A
module 2 type J4820A #not physically present
module 3 type J4821B
interface A1
no lacp
exit

#Note: all interfaces set to no lacp. Edited for brevity

trunk B1,B7 Trk2 Trunk #not active/relevant
ip default-gateway #edit
sntp server #edit
ip routing
timesync sntp
sntp unicast
logging facility #edit
logging #edit
logging #edit
snmp-server community #edit
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
untagged A1-A24,B2-B6,B8-B24,C1-C4,Trk2
ip address #edit
exit

#edit: list of VLAN's that were defined but not in use

ip authorized-managers #edit
spanning-tree
spanning-tree Trk2 priority 4
ip ssh version 1-or-2
password manager
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

I believe you have turned on the ip directed broadcast as you mentioned in your first post but its just not showing in the running config.

Anyway can yo utry to remove the broadcast limit which throttle all kind of broadcast or multicast in the network that exceeds the limit.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Chemosh667

I have tried removing broadcast-limit, and when I try to enable the ip directed-broadcast, it processes the request and does not throw up an error, but it will not work.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Are you using the depicus.com WoL utility? As you mention, in the LAN you don't need to enable ip directed broadcasts for this to work.

On the PC that is off that you want to turn on, does it have a link? or checking the switch port is its status up?
Chemosh667

I've been using the Solarwinds WoL utility. There is a viable link between them, and like I said before the machine responds fine using other switches, so it's definitely an HP switch thing. Considering my switch refuses to actually show that ip directed-broadcast is enabled, I am thinking I may have some other issue going on; maybe a context/mode hangup somewhere. I'll tool around with it a little more tonight. I think for one thing I'm going to reset the switch to factory defaults and rebuild the config from scratch, as there are a few artifacts that will not go away as it is.
Israel_16
Occasional Contributor

I have the same problem on 5300 with few Vlans that have a Cisco Switch 3750 as a router between vlans, the problen was about the same.
The WoL works fine for 2 or 3 hours but after a day no WoL works.
I solved it by entering a static MAC (long list) of all MAC of all NICs in WoL, I put it on the Cisco switch. As my understanding
of your network you have to try it on 5304.