1752588 Members
4796 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Web Interface or Telnet menu on 4000M

Alan Koop
Occasional Advisor

Web Interface or Telnet menu on 4000M

I am pretty new to the HP Procurve switches and I need to change the admin password. I can not connect via the web interface, I get a connection refused message. I can telnet to the device, but I do not get the menu, all I get is the prompt. How do I enable the menu and/or the web interface?
15 REPLIES 15
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Web Interface or Telnet menu on 4000M

I don't have a 4000M but I suspect they are all the same. Just type MENU and hit [Enter].

You should be able to logon to the WebAgent if you can telnet in. Depending on how the accounts are setup, you may need to leave the username blank. You may also have to play with your proxy settings to exclude local addresses both in the browser and in JRE.
Alan Koop
Occasional Advisor

When I Telnet to the device and enter the current password I get a prompt. I typed MENU and this is what I get.

BPSwitch>MENU
Translating "MENU"...domain server (255.255.255.255)
% Unknown command or computer name, or unable to find computer address

When I try the Web Interface, I get the Connection Refused message. I do have the proxy setting set to bypass for local addresses.

Any ideas?
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Oh well... it was just a guess. Sorry

The manual that matches the code level may help.

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/8000_4000_2424.htm
Chris Bullock_1
Frequent Advisor

have you tried to type enable after the >
Alan Koop
Occasional Advisor

I have tried enable and it prompts me for the password. I enter it and end up at the BPSwitch# prompt instead of the BPSwitch> propmt, but I still can't seem to run the menu.
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Hi.
Have you try to reset the password switch? Look in the manual for this. I think you have to push the reset button on the switch directly. This way you wont have to try to find the password. BUT DONT RESET ALL THE SWITCH, only the password you need. If you reset all the switch, you may lose some configuration.

Marc
Alan Koop
Occasional Advisor

I haven't tried that yet since I do know the current password. I am more interested in trying to figure out why I can't get the Telnet Menu or Web Interface to work.
Marc Villeneuve_1
Regular Advisor

Have you tried to update the Firmware. First thing to do in cas of problem, but yea, you cant acc├Г┬иs the menu...

Is your switch is on production? Can you reset to default?

Normaly, a 4000, you can access directly the menu without being on CLI and typing Menu...Its weird thing. Try reboot, and if you dont have big configuration int, try to reset to default.

Or the best you could do is calling the HP Support. They will have your answer very fast.

Marc
Alan Koop
Occasional Advisor

We have 3 of these same switches in production and all 3 of them are acting the same. I think the previous admin must have set something to disable the feature since all 3 act the same.