1752421 Members
5983 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

What is LDCP?

SOLVED
Go to solution

What is LDCP?

HP support asked me to switch of LDCP if I was not to use it. What is LDCP?
/David Soderlund
12 REPLIES 12
cxtwo
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Re: What is LDCP?

Do you mean LACP? Essentially, it's used for forming trunks (combining ports to increase bandwidth) I think its also defined in the IEEE standard 802.3ad. This might be useful for a switch to switch link (if you want a high bandwidth connection in your core) or if you have a server with say 4 network cards that you want to combine into one link to increase bandwidth...

hth
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

supplementary: if you're used to cisco lingo, LACP is the IEEE's answer to cisco's propietary PAgP(FEC). cisco also calls a trunk "an etherchannel".
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.

Another intresting thing is that LACP is enabled on all ports default, but when I have talked to HP suppurt one of the first things they tells me is to disable LACP on all ports, why not have it disabled default if this is the case?

/Magnus
SCOOTER
Esteemed Contributor

Magnus,

This is usual a Marketing thingy. Marketing want's to have it enabled but the enigneers do not. And as usual Marketing wins. It's stupid but we have to live with it.

SCOOTER
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

Scooter is right, marketing wins. Maybe not entirely. LACP is supposed to be a automated trunking mechanism and the IEEE spec dictates that it needs to be on by default - otherwise it won't do you much good. Now, if you don't use it, then it makes sense to turn it off since otherwise the ports are blocked longer than needed and the eventlog fills up with lacp msgs.

I would however agree that there needs to be an easier way to turn it off.....

///Andreas
most time the day i have to mask my contempt for the a-holes in charge......
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

LACP stands for Link Aggregation Control Protocol.

Tnx to you all. Q answered!
/David
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

David,

points would be nice if it was helpful...

///Andreas
most time the day i have to mask my contempt for the a-holes in charge......

It is not hard to turn it of, the problem is that the configfile gets realy long and hard to read...

"no interface all lacp" is the command to use to disable LACP on all interfaces at the same time.

/Magnus