1747982 Members
4696 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Which MIBs to compile for 5300xl/2600PWR

Seth Horila
Advisor

Which MIBs to compile for 5300xl/2600PWR

I would like to apply the necessary MIBs to SIM so that it can interpret SNMP traps for my Procurve 5300xl and 2600 Switches. I downloaded the latest MIBS pack from HP and there are 110 MIB files! Are there only certain ones I need to compile? I am mainly concerned with the chassis notifications, ie: power supply failure, POE injector failure, module changes/failure, etc. Nothing to fancy with data logging. SIM by default interprets the known link up/down, i want a little more information so I can send pages.

Thanks,
1 REPLY 1
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: Which MIBs to compile for 5300xl/2600PWR

After trying this myself a few times now, I'll give you my honest advice on this - Don't bother.

Even with the correct MIBs to use, you need to rename them into a format that SIM accepts, and then you have to pray that it recognises the traps within those MIBs.

I'd strongly recommend you look at PCM+ instead. Try the 30 day eval. It's designed for ProCurve switches by ProCurve and you'll get a lot more use out of it in the long run.

If you are still keen to give it a try with SIM you can get the required MIB list from the older MIB file - ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/mibs-feb06.tar

This is also useful: http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolutions/misc/hpsim-helpfiles/simsnmp.pdf

SIM is very particular about the way that MIBs need to be before it will successfully import them.

From my experience you're likely to spend hours on this and still end up with a half baked solution.

If you can work it out though and get a satisfactory result, you'll be hailed as a hero forever.