Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

With DSL modem, can't go to stand by mode.

Michael_386
Frequent Advisor

With DSL modem, can't go to stand by mode.

I am about to have DSL service starting on Tuesday. I have already recieved the 2WIRE wireless modem. I have my desktop plugged in with ethernet cable. I will have laptop on with wireless.

I have hooked up the modem to desktop already. Since then I can't go to stand-by mode. Everything shuts down fine. Then a minute later it turns back on. Even in hibernation mode it does the same. I also have tried the network enabled and disabled. Same thing happens either way.

Why is this and how can I fix this? I don't want to run CPU when I am not home.

My Computer- Windows XP Home, HP Pavilion 752n

Thanks,
Michael
5 REPLIES
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

Re: With DSL modem, can't go to stand by mode.

Start by disconnecting the ethernet cable - if the system only turns on by itself when the ethernet cable is connected, check the CMOS setup for Wake-on-LAN and disable it.
Michael_386
Frequent Advisor

Ok. I unplugged the ethernet cable and I went into standby mode just fine and stayed that way. I plugged the cable back in and the cpu woke up.

How do I change this setting?
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

On a Pavilion - you'd most likely enter CMOS setup by pressing F1 at power on - there should be a message when you get that blue HP logo screen - somewhere in there should be a place to enable/disable Wake-on-LAN.

Does your 2WIRE wireless modem include a firewall/router? The wake-on-LAN feature is a network management tool that would require someone to send a "magic" packet to turn your system on - I'm just wondering if there is a prankster or hacker having some fun with you.

Try leaving the ethernet cable between the DSL modem and the Pavilion connected and disconnect the cable between the DSL modem and the wall outlet and see what happens.
Michael_386
Frequent Advisor

I didn't unplug the dsl line from the phone jack. I did find a place in device manager in hardware for my ethernet card, that I could uncheck a box that will or will not bring me out of standby if hooked to network.

I can now go to standby normally.

Thank you for your help.
Michael_386
Frequent Advisor

And my wireless modem is firewalled.