Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753820 Members
8208 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

XRRP between routed switches

Scott R

XRRP between routed switches

I have 2 (A&B) 5308's setup with xrrp and 5 vlans including default in a lab. Three more 5308's (C,D,&E)for server access and 1 5304 (F) for user access. Spanning tree setup between the six switches with A=priority 1, B=priority 2, the others default. Routing enabled on A,B,&F. 2 user vlan's on F routing over the default vlan 1 to A&B. A&B connect to a L2 switch, which then connects to a Cisco 2650.
The issue is that xrrp works fine for C,D,&E, for F however because the 2 user vlans use the default vlan uplink, xrrp doesn't work. What is best practice for fixing this? Create a new vlan for uplink with ip addresses and enable xrrp or move user gateway from edge to core. I prefer to leave the users at the edge.
Initially everything works properly however when I pull a link for failover, everything re-establishes after STP, but if I re-insert the original link and STP calculates again my link does not re-establish until the arp cache times out or I clear it in the 2650.
3 REPLIES 3
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Re: XRRP between routed switches

Hi Scott,

Do you have a network map you could attach?

Matt
Scott R

Here is a rough visio diagram.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Hi Scott,

What firmware revison are you running? There was a very similar issue in the E.09.xx software that has now been resolved in E.10.??. Upgrade to E.10.23 if you haven't already.

If that doesn't help or you're already running that, then personally I would do what you have suggested of bringing those VLANs back to the XRRP Core and letting them handle the routing.

I'm also wondering if it would make any difference if you pointed the F switches default route to the XRRP Core instead of the 2650.... just a thought.

Matt