108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: a network cable is unplugged

SOLVED
Go to solution
Hao Tian
Occasional Advisor

a network cable is unplugged

Hi, guys, I got a problem with connecting to my school's LAN. I have hpz4365 laptop. It worked very well before. But recently, whenever I connected it to LAN with a good cable in my school, a error message "the network cable is unplugged" poped up. Only it a couple of cases, I unplugged the cable and plugged it in. Then the problem is gone. But in most cases, it didn't work. It poped up every few seconds.
Please help me, I really need the connection.
Thanks in advance!!!
11 REPLIES 11
James Schuneman
Advisor

Question,
is the cable you are using a pre-made cable or one made up?
I have been trying for months to get the guys I work with to stop making Patch cables and just buy them pre-made ( It's so much cheaper )

One thing to try also, is if you have it plugged in and the OS does not see the network connection, Re-boot, does it now see it. If so, I would say it's something in the OS.

Not sure if this was much help at all , sorry.
Plan on going to school the rest of your Life.
HRE
Valued Contributor

Hi,

If you know the tested cables are o.k. it may be a contact problem in the RJ45 female plug or a cold soldering from this plug on the mainboard.

Hans
Mikko Viitapohja

Broken cable or broken rj45 on your laptop. In some cases network cable can work with low speed, but when trying to handshake with fdx100 - you may see strange issues.

Mikko
Bob Mitchell_1
Regular Advisor

Hi You don't what operating system. XP is usually pretty good at finding networks on the fly, older version sometimes need a re-boot of the system.
If the lead is good, see above, try pressing F5 to refresh the screen in network neighbour or similar.

I to recomend premade leads, look for ones that have the plug molded on to the lead, not crimped on. Better conection amd it doesn't put a strain on the small wires in the leads.

Known brand names usually have a better sucess rate.

Cheers
Bob
Hao Tian
Occasional Advisor

Hi, thanks everyone for your suggestions. I am sure that the cable is fine because I can use it to connect my desktop to LAN. I am afraid that it might be the problem of hardware of my laptop. Can you guys tell me how to check if my rj45 is broken or not? And should I go to Bestbuy (I bought it from there 6 months ago) to fix it or mail my laptop to HP service center to fix it? I prefer to Bestbuy because I need my laptop everyday. Any suggestions? I don't know which way is better to fix a hardware problem.
Bob Mitchell_1
Regular Advisor
Solution

Hi
Is the laptop new, secondhand or refurbished?
I don't know who Bestbuy are, I'm in Oz. Do they have inhouse tech people? Is it under warrenty? Whos? If Bestbuy don't have inhouse tech, and they are not accredited by HP, then I wouldn't stuff around, send it into HP.
Possibly cheaper in the long run.
Cheers
Bob
mal_2
Regular Advisor

ok lets start,

q1, what type of connection are u using-ie what shares the network, is it 3rd party, auto or set ip's?

q2, have you watched the network connection- ie watch the TX/RX to see if stable or resetting to zeros?

q3, the most low cost fix maybe to put in a NIC card in the laptop, that will fix problem,do you have free service to return to place of purchase?

try
plugging into another machine
download nic driver reinstall 4 laptop.
ask your local IT shop to metre the lan for you, one will have the equipment.

fixes, pcmcia card,reload op, maintan machine,
i hope something helps here.
phantom
Hao Tian
Occasional Advisor

thanks mal, I have used the restore_CD to restore my laptop to the orignal configuration when I bought it. I still got the same problem. So I think that it is definitely not a software problem. But anyway, thanks for your suggestion. You guys are really nice here.
Caroline_7
Advisor

Hello Hao

This sounds more like a hardware problem. I have seen this before in one of the pcs that I look after, and it was the network card that was defective and after changing it the pc could connect to the LAN again.

So get the suppliers to check the network card out.