Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753859 Members
7701 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: able to get dhcp from default vlan but unable to get dhcp from clients vlan.

SOLVED
Go to solution
boziah
Advisor

Re: able to get dhcp from default vlan but unable to get dhcp from clients vlan.

below is the result when i type it into vlan 1
hostname "ProCurve Switch 2626"
ip routing
snmp-server community "public" Unrestricted
vlan 1
name "kenya"
untagged 1-12,25-26
ip address 10.76.12.2 255.255.255.0
no untagged 13-24
exit
vlan 96
name "clients"
untagged 13-24
ip address 10.76.96.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 10.76.12.15
exit
ip route 10.76.96.0 255.255.255.0 10.76.12.1
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.76.12.1
password manager
password operator

ProCurve Switch 2626# conf t
ProCurve Switch 2626(config)# vlan 1
ProCurve Switch 2626(vlan-1)# ip route 10.76.96.0 255.255.255.0 10.76.12.2
Invalid input: route
ProCurve Switch 2626(vlan-1)# ip route 10.76.96.0 255.255.255.0 10.76.12.0
Invalid input: route
ProCurve Switch 2626(vlan-1)#

Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor
Solution

You'll have to put the route in the Fortinet fw then, NOT in the 2626.
---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

boziah
Advisor

Thank you.
Rburns
Visitor

There is really no need for an extra route to be added anywhere. The DHCP server sits on VLAN 1, and his hosts sit on VLAN 96. Both VLAN's are on the same switch, the switch has ip routing enabled, and has an IP address assigned in each VLAN. The default gateway does not even come into play here, as this switch will route between the VLAN's just fine...no need for an extra router to be involved, unless the DHCP server has the wrong gateway address set (see below).

The problem, by my guess, is likely on the DHCP server- either the 10.76.96.0 scope is not defined properly, or maybe the server does not have its' default gateway set properly (as mentioned above, try pinging or tracerouting from the DHCP server to 10.76.96.1 to see if it can find that subnet. If not, perhaps set its' gateway address to 10.76.12.2). 

One more note- you don't need the "ip helper-address 10.76.12.15" command on VLAN 1...the DHCP server is on that VLAN so it will see DHCP requests on that VLAN...no need to forward them as unicasts.

Fredrik L├╢nnman
Honored Contributor

@Rburns wrote:

There is really no need for an extra route to be added anywhere. The DHCP server sits on VLAN 1, and his hosts sit on VLAN 96. Both VLAN's are on the same switch, the switch has ip routing enabled, and has an IP address assigned in each VLAN. The default gateway does not even come into play here, as this switch will route between the VLAN's just fine...no need for an extra router to be involved, unless the DHCP server has the wrong gateway address set (see below).

Obviously the default router in VLAN1 isnt the 2626 switch itself, but the Fortinet, and the DHCP server has its default gw pointed at the Fortinet, that doesnt know about the vlan 96 beeing routed in the 2626. My last post obviously fixed the issue, right?

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Rburns
Visitor

Sorry  if you took my post to be an attack on your expertise, Fredrick...yes, adding the route into the Fortinet gateway is one way to fix the issue. My point is that it is not necessarily the most optimal way. Sending traffic between two VLAN's  on the same switch by routing it out to the Fortinet and then back again to the switch is a waste of time and bandwidth in my eyes (2 unnecessary hops). If the switch really is the center of the network (and I suspect it is, seeing as he is creating the separate networks on it), let it be the gateway for ALL internal subnets and only use the Fortinet for subnets outside of the building (like the Internet). That is planning for the future too, as maybe there will be more VLAN's going forward???

So, to summarize, the BEST solution to the problem in my eyes is not to add a route to the Internet gateway, but rather to set the defalt gateway on both VLANs to be the 2626 switch. But you don't need to list me as the solution- Fredrick has already grabbed that prize (and I am not an Honoured Contributor).

Routing should be as simple as possible, and I think avoiding involving an external vendor to make a change for you is always a good idea...again, I am guessing that he does not configure his own Internet gateway.

boziah
Advisor

Yes it fixed it.