5979 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: auto-10 problems?

Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

auto-10 problems?

Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you experienced duplex mismatch errors when setting one or more 2600 switch ports to auto-10?

Regards,
Marcus
11 REPLIES 11
Terhorst
Trusted Contributor

Hi Marcus,

If I may advise: If possible use fixed port-settings for speed and duplex, especially between switches. If this is not possible use all autonegotiate settings.

Regards,
Alexander

Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

If one side is set to auto and the other to full duplex the auto side will default to half. It can only go to full if the other side is also in auto.

Ron
Quartino
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
lots of problems with auto-10 (duplex mismatch). I had to use fixed 10-half, loosing also the autocross possibility.
Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

Loosing the auto-MDI/X funktion is a problem that I knew about.

But it's very interesting for me to know more about your mismatch problems... Did your end user configure the nic to auto?

/marcus
Quartino
Occasional Advisor

We use hp 2524 and 2600 to provide access to people we don't know the configuration.
In order to limit the damages they can cause to the network we wanted to limit the speed to 10meg. As the can use switches, or computers connected on our switches we wanted to let autocross enabled, so 10-auto.

Main problems were : duplex mismatch errors or sometimes the network cards couldn't find the link speed.

Now we use 10-half

We also have duplex mismatch errors when connecting two hp switches in 10-auto or 100-auto

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Marcus,
Compatibility working table:

Workstation - Switch..... -> Result
-----------------------------------------
Forced Half - Forced Half -> Works
Forced Full - Forced Full -> Works
Auto....... - Auto....... -> Maybe
Forced Full - Auto....... -> NO
Auto....... - Forced Full -> NO
Forced Half - Forced Full -> NO
Forced Full - Forced Half -> NO

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Marcus_20
Frequent Advisor

Well I always connect endusers with auto - auto. Try telling an older lady who just started surfing the net to change the nic setting to 100-fdx...

So if I want to limit my users to 10 mbps, without duplex mismatch errors I thought that auto-10 would do the trick.

But if there is alot of problems I have to find another solution.

/Marcus
Quartino
Occasional Advisor

by the way, if auto-10 or auto-100 rarely works, why does it exist on hp switches ... ???? :-D

More seriously i'd like to know what it is used for
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Hi Quartino,
autosense isn't HP feature but worldwide standard.
The configuratione auto to auto works more than rarely; sometimes it doesn't work. The main problem when doesn't work is the time lost to set right configuration, so people feels it can't work well.
The knowledge of compatibility table helps to avoid lost time.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti