108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

automatic vlan

SOLVED
Go to solution
blk
Occasional Advisor

automatic vlan

hi, i have a little question, how i can automaticly assign a vlan on a port (procurve 2626) based on a computer mac address ? In fact i want that a computer stay on the same vlan if i plug it on different port. I have two different vlan configured on my switch.
thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Kell van Daal
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: automatic vlan

Hi,

You would want to use mac-authentication on the switch, and configure the RADIUS server for assigning the VLAN.

In short, you configure 2 policies on your RADIUS server. One for VLAN x and one for VLAN y. Then assign the MAC-addresses accordingly to the policies. (treat the MAC-addresses as users, with the MAC-address also as password).
When a client starts up, the switch will send the MAC-address as username and password to the RADIUS server. The RADIUS authenticates them and determines the policy. The RADIUS server will send back that the client is allowed onto the network, and it's corresponding VLAN. The switch will put the port with the client on in that VLAN (untagged).

Read all about it in the manual:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/59906024-1004-Security-Guide.pdf
blk
Occasional Advisor

Re: automatic vlan

ok it's what i read, i'll just expect to bypass the radius server and use a local mac address table on switch.