Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748199 Members
2602 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: call waiting nightmare

Amy Deitrich

call waiting nightmare

I have call waiting and it will not knock me offline when i have a call coming in if anybody knows why please let me know , when someone calls itjust rings and rings and rings
2 REPLIES 2
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Which modem do you have? If you don't know and it came with the PC then what PC do you have? What operating system do you have? WinXP or ?

I assume you have already checked Control Panel / Phone and Modem / (Select your location) Edit and verified that To Disable Call Waiting Dial is not checked?

The next thing to do is to add a modem command to the Advanced set up but in order to tell you what command I need to know the modem type since this is an S register command and they vary with make. On my Diamond it would be something like S10=1 which tells it to drop the circuit if the carrier drops for 1/10th of a second.

Depending on what modem and what operating system, what ISP, and whether you have caller ID or not you may also be able to get it to bring up a window telling you who is calling. There are also options to forward the call to a voice mail system on the internet.

Ron
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

you'll probably want to verifiy with your ISP that they are V.92 compatable. also check your modem for this logo.

heres more info on V.92 http://www.v92.com/about/modem-on-hold.html

alternativly, you can disable call waiting so they get Busy or voicemail, usually by prepending the number with "*70, "

There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.