New Discussion юеВ

Re: cannot find default gateway on LAN

SOLVED
Go to solution
lucas_29
Advisor

cannot find default gateway on LAN

hello!!

i have compaq presario 2500 notebook on windows xp.
when i try to establish LAN connection with automatically detected settings the info path shows only IP adress and subnet mask. cannot find a default gateway and DNS serwer number. this is what i did:
- in run window i've typed cmd and selected ipconfig /all.
- my computer shows only ip and mask number so I've changed opptions to manually configuration and typed settings from another computer which had established a connection. I've typed the ip, mask, gateway, DNS and even MAC adress and my computer is still not able to connect.
in the cmd i've typed: ping ip adress, the computers shows info about lost [0] sent [4] and received datas [4]
when i ping a mask adress it also works good, problems ocurs when i type gateway and DNS server adress it hangs up and displays error. generaly it looks like the comp. is attempting to establish a connection and suddenly it falls out to establish. what should i do?
the reaction is the same if i enable or disable firewall.
9 REPLIES 9
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor
Solution

I bet you get an IP address with 169 as the first part. That's a made up IP address that windows uses when it can't find a DHCP server.

See:

http://207.46.248.248/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;892350

A faster way to fix it if you don't have SP2 is to get winsockxpfix.exe.

http://www.iup.edu/house/resnet/winfix.shtm

Ron
lucas_29
Advisor

i knew Ron you'll hit the spot. That's right: my ip adress starts with 169. i had winsockxpfix downloaded and my computer automatically assigned ip, mask, DHCP, DNS etc. all of the commands in cmd path works now!!! yet again - the conections starts and falls out when o try to activate Norton Internet Security - probably its non compatible with Win XP or there is some spy - must do the cleaning of register with some spyaware program. Regards to you
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

If you think you may have spyware then get HijackThis

http://tomcoyote.org/hjt/hjt199//HijackThis.exe

Save then Open it and select the SCAN AND SAVE LOG option.

Note where you save the log and then reply to this post and press the Browse button then point to the log and it will attach it.

I'll check it and let you know.

I suspect that your Norton is a kind of Firewall so there may be things you have to enable with it. Also SP has the XP firewall on by default and it's not a good idea to run two.
lucas_29
Advisor

ok. Ron i'll do it but it'll take some time - i cant work on my notebook now, i gave it back to manufacturer for couple days to check the network devices. Thanks for now.
lucas_29
Advisor

hello again Ron.
I've received my computer from my manufacturer, he did what he did - the lan is working good. It apears that it was a problem with the registry keys as you've perfectly put, but then again: I know that Lan settings are configured well now, but i suppose it will all hapen again when i would reinstall my OS [somewhere in the future]. I've received my computer with some text documents shown [placed in system disk], named as: resetlog, sedinst and sedinst2 which were probably saved as logs during the lan configure by my manufacturer [i mean probably, i don't know it for sure, i'm not competitive in these log files, maybe these are the log files done by the WinsockXPFix?]- i will atached it to this mail - maybe yo've seen those and you could tell me what kind of program does this kind of change to the registry keys. I would be very greatful to you. I also atach hijack this log done.

Thanks for everything yo've done for me it was very helpful.
Regards
lucas_29
Advisor

sedinstlog
lucas_29
Advisor

sedinst2log
lucas_29
Advisor

hijackthis
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

HijackThis log looks clean. Suggest you check everything and then check Add to Ignore list. Then do a second scan and repeat. (Sometimes benign stuff is hidden by the other so a second scan picks up some new stuff.)

Now if you think you have picked up some spyware all you have to do is run a new scan and you will only see the stuff that has been added.

The other logs are just the results of some upgrades they did. Nothing to worry about.

Ron