1752806 Members
6032 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: cat5 installation help

Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Also you can build a little home network using Cat.5 cable used only by computer with PC, hub and cable.
No more if you don't call an expert.

Bye
Antoniv
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
seymour999
Frequent Advisor

Don't forget that the UK uses a standard called ISO/IEC 11801, which is similar but not identical to EIA/TIA 528.

I don't know whether this is still true, but for a long time there was no Euro equivalent of the EIA/TIA 530 standard which is at least as important because it covers the pathways and telecomm spaces in buildings.

The point about these standards is that none of them contain any of the practices that you need to know to install and terminate cable.

Example: you usually have to check the cable manufacturer's specs to find out that if you pull Cat5 or 5e at more than 35 lbs/16 kg or so tension, you risk lowering the Cat rating of the cable by distorting its internal structure.
seymour999
Frequent Advisor

Correction: In my prev, EIA/TIA 528 should be EIA/TIA 568.
seymour999
Frequent Advisor

And EIA/TIA 530 should read EIA/TIA 569:
http://web.anixter.com/Anixter/anixter.nsf/Standards?OpenForm

Some info on IEC 11801 at:
http://www.anixter.co.uk/

Basic cabling info (some parts out of date) at:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/LANs/cabling-faq/

Angus Crome
Honored Contributor

According to my breakout card from "Suttle Apparatus";

T568A Pins | T568B Pins
Pair 3 (Green) 1,2 | Pair 2 (Orange) 1,2
Pair 2 (Orange) 3,6 | Pair 3 (Green) 3,6
Pair 1 (Blue) 4,5 | Pair 1 (Blue) 4,5
Pair 4 (Brown) 7,8 | Pair 4 (Brown) 7,8

10Base-T/100Base-T

Pair 1 (Blue) 1,2
Pair 2 (Orange) 3,6

However, I believe you can use any color as long as you keep the pins on each end correct. And both ends in a standard configuration are identically terminated in all three cases above.
There are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't - Author Unknown
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

I see a lot of confused people here - let me add to the confusion.

10baseT & 100baseT should not really be in a discussion on CAT5 cabling - these are ethernet over twisted pair standards, CAT5 or Category5 cabling has a much broader scope.

Essentially a CAT5 installation can be done to meet EIA/TIA 568 specification with NO regard to whether the end use is an Ethernet or Token Ring LAN etc.

A CAT5 spec. installation requires CAT5 material - 4 pair CAT5 twisted pair cable, CAT5 jacks/patch panels - and installation methods to ensure that all parameters stay within the specification - cable lengths need to be kept to a maximun of 90 metres, not more than 0.5" of untwisted cable at the terminations - and then the whole shebang tested or certified for length, attenuation, NEXT etc.

If this is not going to be a small network - don't try to do it yourself
SM_3
Super Advisor

Thanks to everyone!
Just to let you know
I did not end up performing the Cat5 installation.

Thanks again!