Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753884 Members
7763 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: compaq nx7000 slow response after dialup session started

William Hawkins_1

compaq nx7000 slow response after dialup session started

I have a Compaq nx7000 with 512megs of ram, running WinXP Pro, Nortons System works 2002.05, Zone Alarm Pro 5.0.590.043, Office 2003 with voice recognition enabled. I work both in a peer to peer enviroment as well as using dialup services. When I am on the LAN, there are no porblems with slow respoonse. When I am off line and off the LAN, I also have no porblems with slow response. However when I iniatate a dialup session, the computer takes between 5 and 10 min. to respond to input, or to running programs. Unfortunately I did not recognize the problem being linked to the dialup sessions, so I cannot say when the problem started. I have reciently upgraded from the previous Zone Alarm Pro version, as well as loading the voice recognition component of Office 2003. One suggestion has been that the modem drivers have become corupted, however I don't want to simply start removing and reinstalling componets without good reason.
Any suggestions?
2 REPLIES 2
webdude
Advisor

it looks like you are using offline files,

open a explorerwindow, extra, folderoptions, offline files and look if use offline files is marked (if it is unmark it and try again)

it try's to sync the files if you have a network (any) connection
William Hawkins_1

I checked for offline folder sync, and it is not set. I finally disabled speech recognition, and the problem goes away. I would like to use the speech recognition, so I am still looking for a possible reason.