Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1751774 Members
4658 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: compatibility question about hsrp, vrrp and xrrp

Jonathan Lanuzga

compatibility question about hsrp, vrrp and xrrp

hi , i would like to ask for some advice about the network that i'm trying to setup.

here's how the design of my network looks like

2 cisco 1841 connected to 2 ISP , for redundant connection to the internet (using HSRP of cisco).

then 2 hp procurve 5400 to be connected to the two cisco 1841 also for redundancy purpose (using xrrp of hp)...

so will this network setup work ?

please help me with this one, this is the network that we like to implement because of budget concern...

i've attached a picture of this network diagram

thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

basically it must work.
you have two routers that need to route between them.
That each router has a backup-router that uses a different technique to determine the status of the active rotuer makes no difference.

the function of HSRP or VRRP is to have multiple devices "share" a single router adress, where one of these devices is active and the others only monitor the status of this primary adress.

As long as both cisco's share hsrp and both hp's share vrrp, I don't think you will encounter any problems.

the main difference is
- for vrrp each device has it's own adress one device is "master", the other "slave", so you only need two addresses.
- for hsrp each device has it's own adress, and the share a third address, each device can be equally important for servicing this third address.

Regards,
Pieter
Jonathan Lanuzga

thanks for the reply ,,, i just want to clarify something ... i will be running XRRP (propriety of HP) for the two 5400. will this create conflict on my network ? because on my 1841 routers , i'll be using HSRP for redundant connection to the internet.

thanks again for future replies
serpel
Trusted Contributor

Hi,
i don't think this will be a problem, but i think the 5400zl just support vrrp and no xrrp. and only with the extra license.
but i don't understand why you want hsrp at the cisco's and vrrp at the hp's?
hth
alex
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

Hello Jonathan,
for the 5400's goes the same.
it's just a means to communicate between two otherwise equal devices, so they can determine who is "owner" of the router-address.

again as long as (for the same router address) you do not mix between two devices using different methods, the rest of the network will not know the difference.
Jonathan Lanuzga

thanks for the replies ... but actually i want to ask if how , in your opinion this network should be designed ... i want to implement redundancy for internet connection and connection to my HP 5400 switches . i won't be able to use vrrp because of budget concerns, due to additional licensing cost ..

again thank's for future replies
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

for your internal network it's no problem.

You'll use the 5400's as your local network router. Your local network sees a single router. That they use xrrp to create redundance between them for routing is no problem.

Youll use the 1841's as internet router
her also from the 5400 you see a single router, that these use HSRP to create a redundant router address is no problem.

But your problem will be at the ISP-side.
Each ISP will have it's own public address-range from wich you get a subnet.

It will be difficult to make public-adress-1 from ISP-1 reachable through the connection of ISP-2.
That you'll have to negotiate with both ISP's.

I assume your budget will not be enough to acquire an ISP-independant public range and have routing be setup using BGP at the public-internet.

Pieter
Jonathan Lanuzga

thank you very much ,,, yeah , i forgot to consider the public address that i should have for this network to make hsrp work... But again, thanks for the help...