1752323 Members
5148 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

configuration HP procurve 2524

fred_36

configuration HP procurve 2524

Hello,
I'm french, and I don't speak english very well.
I bought an HP switch Procurve 2524, and I would like doing this :

On the port 1, I've a Novell server.
On ports 2 at 5, printers.
On ports 6 at 19, I've Pcs in a domaine, an on ports 20 at 23, Pcs in an other domaine (workgroup).
And on the port 24, a cable/DSL router.

I would like Pcs on ports 6 at 19 can go on Pcs on ports 20 at 23, and inversement.

All Pcs can go on the server Novell (port 1), on printers (ports 2 at 5), and on the net whith the router (port 24).

Can you give me help to configure the software inclued the switch please ??

Thank you.

Fred
8 REPLIES 8
Joaquin Gil de Vergara
Respected Contributor

Re: configuration HP procurve 2524

if i understand well, all devices (PCs, printers, servers, routers) must connect with all devices...

you don't need todefine any vlan or nothing special. Switch on the switch an connect devices, layer 1 and layer 2 communications betwen devices can occur without problems...

layer 3 communication (IP or IPX) is not definied in this kind of device (layer 2 switch). You must configure it in the devices....

Assign a IP address to the switch connecting the null cable modem provided to a serial port of pc. Open Hyperterminal (or similar - default settings) and you enter in a menu (if a prompt like this # is show type 'menu'). Here you can define a management ip address and more settings

Good Luck
Teach is the best way to learn
fred_36

I'm sorry but I wrote :

I would like Pcs on ports 6 at 19 can go on Pcs on ports 20 at 23, and inversement.

In fact, I don't want PCs on ports 6 at 19 can go on PCs on ports 20 ?? 23.

I'm very sorry (My English isn't very good ;o))

So, the difficult for me is doing the liaison betwin the 2 domains with the server Novell, printers and router without the 2 domains can see itself.

I'm sorry.
Thank you.
Joaquin Gil de Vergara
Respected Contributor

ok

define then vlans

ports 6 to 19 must be included in vlan1 for example

port 20 to 23 must be included for vlan2 for example

then now you must decice in wich vlan you want to include novell server, printers and router.

vlans made switch behave like two standalone switches (two independent broadcast domains)

if you want that PCs in vlan 1 and 2 can't connect beetwen it, but can connect to server, printers and router from both vlans then you must define tagged vlans (instead of untagged) and configure the server, router and printer port in both vlans (1 and 2). Router, server and printers LAN Ethernet card must comply with IEEE 802.1q to different beetwen frames from diferent vlans

tell me if if you understand it

godd look! ;-)
Teach is the best way to learn
fred_36

I think I understand what you say, but I don't manage to do what I want.
My second VLAN (VLAN2) can't go to the server, net and printers, and I don't know why.
Can you give me an exemple of tagged/untagged ports whith ports :
1 which is in the VLAN 1
6 which is in the VLAN 1 too
and 20 which is in the VLAN 2.
Ports 6 and 20 can go on port 1 (it's the server Novell).
Please ???
Thank you very much :)

PS : it isn't easy to manage this switch... But Thank you for your help :)
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi.

Excuse me if I sound dense, but I'm a bit confused here.

"I would like Pcs on ports 6 at 19 can go on Pcs on ports 20 at 23, and inversement.
In fact, I don't want PCs on ports 6 at 19 can go on PCs on ports 20 ?? 23.

So, let's take it step-by-step. A long story, so grab a cup of coffee or something :-). And, actually, I'm not at all sure all this is relevant to your situation. It depends completely how you want to establish communications between devices.

1. Create VLAN 1. You put ports 6 - 19 into this VLAN as UNTAGGED. Then you create VLAN 2, put ports 20 - 23 to this VLAN as UNTAGGED.

2. Then we add a server. Create VLAN 3, add port 1 to this VLAN as UNTAGGED. Also add ports 2, 5 and 24 to this VLAN as UNTAGGED.

Now we have 3 VLANs which can NOT communicate with each other. PCs in ports 6 - 19 can communicate with each other, PCs in ports 20 - 23 can communicate with each other and server, DSL router and printers can communicate with each other.

Now, VLAN 1 must be able to communicate with the server - and this is where things start getting hairy.

3. Add port 1 as a TAGGED port to VLAN 1. Also add ports 6 - 19 as TAGGED ports to VLAN 3. Now to do this, both server and PC:s must have a network card that understands 802.1Q VLAN tagging. Such adapter is for example Intel PRO/100 S, both server and workstation adapters.

To enable VLAN 2 to use server, you must configure port 1 as a TAGGED port for VLAN 2 and ports 20 - 23 as TAGGED ports to VLAN 3. And again, PC NICs must understand tagging.

At this point we have 2 VLANs who can communicate with the server, but not with each other. Server can go to internet through the DSL modem.

Next, we establish Internet connection to VLANs 1 and 2.

4. Configure port 24 as a TAGGED port for VLANs 1 and 2. Note again, the DSL router MUST understand 802.1Q tags, otherwise it's no go. You can see this if you check the technical specifications of the router, if you see 802.1Q support there this should work OK.

At this point, we have 2 VLANs which can communicate with the server and internet, but NOT to each other or with the printers.

So. next we must establish printer connections - which is not so easy as it might sound.

5. Again, configure ports 2 and 5 as TAGGED ports to both VLANs 1 and 2. Now, the problem here is that I am not sure at all if there are any JetDirect-type print servers which understand VLAN tagging.

Other option might be that you use the server as a print server, share printers from there and spool print jobs there. This way I think that the workstations do not NEED to communicate with printer ports at all, so part 5 would not apply at all. Note: I THINK, I've not tested this. But, I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Anyhow, the end result of all this should be that you have 3 VLANs. VLANs 1 and 2 can communicate with devices in VLAN 3, but NOT with each other.

Then again, if you want also VLANs 1 and 2 to communicate with each other, do NOT configure VLANs at all. Use Netware to determine trust relationships between the domains. Unfortunately I cannot help there, since I'm no NW expert.

Info on configuring VLANs is in the Management and Configuration Guides of the switches. They can be downloaded from www.hp.com/rnd/support/manuals/index.htm.

HTH and please ask if this is still unclear.

Arimo
fred_36

Thank you Arimo for your explications :)
I'm going to do what you say in few minutes, but I've a last question.
Do you think protocol 802.3 takes care protocol 802.1Q ??
Thank you again for your help :))))
Arimo Laine_2
Valued Contributor

Hi.

IEEE 802.3 is normal Ethernet standard. It defines just normal ethernet frame type. 802.1Q is a different thing altogether, so unfortunately no... it won't do.

Arimo
fred_36

Ok !!

I download lastest drivers for my Ethernet card, and the switch works :)

Thank you very much for your help, and I think I understand how I can configure the switch :)

Thank you again :)