Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753297 Members
6578 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: configuration uploading?

David Bosso

configuration uploading?

OK, I've figured out how to use the hpicfDownload mib to automate configuration and flash downloading.

Now I'm trying to figure out a way to automate configuration uploading. I'd like to be able to do one of the following:
1. Use an SNMP command to have the switch tftp it's running or startup config to my NMS.
2. Or, use a TFTP client on the NMS to download the startup config from the switch.

From my search of the HP mibs, I can't find a command for 1.
Since the switches run a TFTP server, and you can download the firmware from it, it seems to me that the startup config might be available also, I'd just need to know what the filename is.

These are the switches I'm working with:
4100gl series
4000M

Thanks.

-David
3 REPLIES 3
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

I'd be surprised if it were possible to get the config with tftp. Bit of a security problem I'd think. I suppose if it has a name it's startup_config.

The only MIBS I see are the switchconfig mibs but then you only get one little piece at a time.

Have you looked at kiwi cattools? They are meant for cisco routers but the HPs are so close that they should work OK.

http://www.kiwisyslog.com/products.htm#cattools

Ron
David Bosso

Thanks for the reply. Cattools looks interesting, but my NMS is Linux based.

The startup config filename is apparently "startup-config" on the 4100gl, but it results in an access violation if you try and get it with tftp even if the client IP has been granted manager level authorization.

Anyone else have any suggestions before I'm forced to script a telnet login to send the cli copy command?

Thanks.

-David
Ron Kinner
Honored Contributor

Perhaps I can save you a little trouble on the scripting. The following is cleaned up version of an actual script that we use to talk to our 3COM switches:

REMOTE=A.B.C.D
(sleep 5
echo "\r"
sleep 1
echo "loginname\r"
sleep 1
echo "devicepassword\r"
sleep 5
echo "command 1\r"
sleep 1
echo "command 2\r"
sleep 1
echo "command 3\r"
sleep 5
echo "exit\r"
sleep 1
echo "logout\r"
echo "\r") |telnet $REMOTE

The need for the \r changes between devices. Sometimes they need it and sometimes they don't. You can adjust the sleep times as required.

Ron