108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: configure vlan on procurve 1800

Joakim_2
Advisor

configure vlan on procurve 1800

Hi,
I'm running procurve 2524 in my network with
3 vlans. One for clients, one for printers/servers and one for IPphones.
I also have a vlan for the network where
I monitor the switches and where the vlans are
tagged.

My config looks like this:

vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
no ip address
tagged 25-26
no untagged 1-24
exit
vlan 10
name "network"
ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
tagged 25-26
exit
vlan 11
name "client"
untagged 1-8
tagged 25-26
exit
vlan 12
name "server"
untagged 9-16
tagged 25-26
exit
vlan 13
name "ipphone"
untagged 17-24
tagged 25-26
exit

The switches communicate with port 25 and 26 with fiber and it works prefect.
I now bought a procurve 1800 where I want
to have it working the same but with fewer ports since I don't need 24 of them. I want
to use port 8 to a mediaconverter-fiber to
a 2524 and devide the other 7 ports to the 3 vlans. The webinterface seems strange to me
and I can't seem to get it right. Can someone help me get it right or do I have to stick with 2524's? Port 1-3 for client, 4-6 for ipphone and 7 to server. Is it possible?
I also would like to have the ipadress on port 8 and vlan10 so I can monitor it.

regards /Joakim
3 REPLIES 3
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Yes, it is possible. Don't be affraid. You don't need to stick with 2524 (tho you could use a genuine Layer 3 routing device as your Inter-VLAN Router).

To assign an IP address on some VLAN interface of the 1800 -for management purposes-, you do not need to start IP routing on 1800.

The link between the switches could be a trunk (HP-wise) and you may carry 2 (VLAN10 and at least another client VLAN) or more VLANs (all 5 of them, if you need) over this link using IEEE 802.1Q tagging: you may use Untagging for one VLAN, but you'll have to use Tagging for the rest of them (1 to 4).

BTW: how do you do routing between the VLANs, since I can't see IP addresses assigned to VLANs except "network"? Do you use an external router? Or you keep the clients in your subnets completely separated? - just curious.
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Oh, and another thing: the Command Line Interface (CLI) offers you more options than the Web Interface (WI). WI is used more for status/inspection than for serious configuration tasks. So use the CLI when configuring your 1800.
Joakim_2
Advisor

Hi and thx for your answer. I went on holiday before replying.
Well, the 1800-8G switch can only be managed by web so that's the catch for me. I'm familiar with the console since I use it when configuring my 2524's.

I basically want three VLANS tagged to one port ( port 1 or 8) from where it will be
connected to a 2524 on port 25 on the config above.

My network has a 5304-switch who is doing the routing. Fyi :)