Email Subscription Notifications Suspended Temporarily
We are in the process of making navigation in the Servers and Operating Systems forums simpler and more direct. While doing this, we have to temporarily suspend email notifications for subscriptions. If you are subscribed to one or more discussion boards or blogs in the community, please check them daily to see new content. Notifications will be turned back on in a few days. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thanks, Warren_Admin
Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connect two switches together

Lasse Heinonen
Occasional Visitor

connect two switches together

Hello. I have two hp 1810g-8 switches. Ports 2(tagged), 3, and 4 are in vlan id 200 and ports 5(tagged), 6 and 7 are in vlan id 100. Connection works fine if I connect those two switches from port 2 to 2 and 5 to 5.

How can I connect this two switches together with one cable and access to both vlans. With port trunking? But how?
1 REPLY
Mohammed Faiz
Honored Contributor

Re: connect two switches together

Hi,
If you want to use just one cable you can tag more than one vlan on a port so just connect port 2 on both switches and tag both vlans on it, simple!

To give yourself a bit of resilience you can connect two cables and turn them into a trunk. So for example, on each switch run "trunk 1,2 trk1" and then "vlan 100 tag trk1" and "vlan 200 tag trk1" then connect ports 1 and 2 between the switches.