Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753626 Members
5456 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: different LAN with procurve 4000M

Yann_8

different LAN with procurve 4000M

I would like to know if is it posible to dedicate each procurve switchs (A, B, C...) for differents LAN.
for exemple:
-I want workstations in switch A and B (192.168.90.XX) which browsing ADSL connexion #1.

-I want others workstations in switch C and D
(192.168.91.XX) which browsing ADSL connexion #2.

I really want two different (physically) LAN, not VLAN.

Thanks in advance.
5 REPLIES 5
Kell van Daal
Respected Contributor

With the details you give, it's offcourse possible.
Just don't connect the switches which eachother. (except connect switch A and B, and connect switch C and D).

In that way you have seperate LAN's. If the clients from both LAN's need to communicate with eachother, you would need an external router that is connected to both LAN's.
Yann_8

Dear Kell, first time I thank you for your response.

In second time, I'm sorry for the level of my questions...

In the default settings, when I connect two differents workstations in two differents switchs (A, B), the ADSL connexion #1 browse all switchs.(at this time there's no other ADSL connexion.

I want to know what I have to configure to separate switchs.

Thank You
Yann

Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Correct me if I am wrong, but I suspect that you are not using the correct terminology and that your "switches" are really just "modules" all in one 4000M. Am I right?

Fundamentally, VLANs are separate LANs and I believe that is what you are after. VLANs will do exactly what you describe.
Yann_8

Yes, you are right I talked about modules...sorry
But I have understand that VLANs are use to separate workstation in the same network(to seperate logically) , tell me if it's a mistake.
For exemple, different offices in the same network.

Thanks
Yann
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

You are mistaken. VLANs separate the network but frequently they are used to separate them into subnets that are then connected by routers. If you do not join them with routing, they are entirely separate.

I suspect that you want to route between the two subnets 192.168.90.0 and 192.168.91.0 so that means that you cannot totally isolate the two VLANs and will have to work with routing tables.