Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748123 Members
3396 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: enable UDP packets on router

alex hawley

enable UDP packets on router

I'm trying to enable UDP packets on my router setup. We have 4 computers on a LAN that uses cable internet access. I'm having trouble getting to the router setup, but that's secondary. I'm wondering, once I get onto the router setup screen, is it possible to only enable UDP packets going to my computer, which is not the main computer on the LAN. Is it fairly simple? And how do I do it if it is possible.
7 REPLIES 7
Mohamed Hamedi
Respected Contributor

What is the router you are using?
alex hawley

I'm using a Boca router. The model name is concentrator
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

let me know if i'm reading this wrong, you want to block everything EXCEPT UDP packets?

you probably don't want to do that, as it will break nearly every networking service (including HTTP, SMB file shares, Active Directory, and Telnet)

if that's not the case please include more information.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
alex hawley

No, I'm trying to allow UDP packets. My router doesn't allow them in its current setup. My question is, if it would be possible to allow them for only one computer on a LAN. And let the rest of the computers stay in the same configuration.
alex hawley

Also, I gave you the wrong router model, its a Motorola SB4200.
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

is this a NAT router? (i.e. 192.168.x.x addresses on the clients and a clearly marked WAN or internet side)

NATing UDP is not trivial, and most of the cheaper kit just drops it in hardware. i'm not familar with this router, but it might be one of these.

if you know what ports your UDP app is using you can set the router for statically forward that port to a single pc. that should give you equivilent functionaility.

what are you trying to do that requires UDP?
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.
alex hawley

I'm trying to play emulated games on an online server called zbattle.net. It allows people to find each other in a chat room and then it automatically creates a connection using both IP addresses. It works better using UDP packets as opposed to TCP/IP connections, and I was told I might be able to get it to work if I allowed UDP packets. My question is now, how to I allow UDP packets in general, I can figure out how to do that for only one computer later. I know how to get to the configuration page, but I can't find anything about UDP packets.