New Discussion юеВ

external FAX modem: ringer count setting

SOLVED
Go to solution
Helge Asmus
Regular Advisor

external FAX modem: ringer count setting

Hi,

because our AIO & Win2003 on the server definitely dislike each other, it came to my mind to try to install a quite antique external fax modem (built 1989, but never failed) as primary interface to the fax server.

Set it up & works well except that a caller has to let it ring 5x before the modem answers. Searched & found the documentation. Then used Hypertrm to configure the modem with these commands:

// Init Modem Profile #1 - RTS/CTS, XON/XOFF,
// Autoreliable, Compression MNP5 or V.42,
// Profile #1 active on restart

AT E1 K6 L1 M1 N1 Q0 S0=1 S8=1 S10=20 S12=25 S80=0 T0 V1 W2 X4 Y1
AT &R &T4 %C3 %E1 \A0 \J0 \G1 \N3 &W1 &Y1

In this string is programmed a ring count of 1, but somehow either the modem or the fax server still likes to answer only after 4 rings.

Tried to contact the makers of the modem, but they don't exist anymore.

The fax server's settings is to respond after 1 ring, too.

Any ideas?
alles wird gut.
5 REPLIES 5
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Re: external FAX modem: ringer count setting

Mhm,
may be fax server software makes another setup; I guess you have read receive fax configuration on your software.
You can also make a simple test.
Open HyperTerm, set answer to 1, dial the fax number (when HyperTerm is open) and count when your modem answer; I bet it answer after 1.st ring.
Don't forget, software can answer to any call before counted rings. For example, you can set ATS0=5 with HyperTerm, then when you see RING on screen you can type ATA to answer immedialtely.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor

Sorry,
forget sentence with ATA blah blah.

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Helge Asmus
Regular Advisor

...found, that the modem's settings are changed by the W2k3 fax server by changing the ringer count to 0 when the RI line is active. This apparently lets the modem wait for the off-hook command which is issued by the fax server after 4 rings at the earliest no matter what the settings are. So what can I do now to change it?

Helge.
alles wird gut.
Antoniov.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
read follow M$ article, can help you
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;145879

Antonio Vigliotti
Antonio Maria Vigliotti
Helge Asmus
Regular Advisor

Hi, Antonio.

Finally found the time to investigate further in this issue.
The link given did not result in a success, because it appears to only work with activated remote dial-in access; alas while looking further into related registry entries, I found the string value
HKLM/SOFTWARE/FAX/TapiDevices/(the Modem enum)/MODEM/ResetCommandGenerated,
where Windows stores the modem's initialization.
Edited this value to contain the correct values for faxing & set a default fax speed of 19200 (seems to be the standard fax speed for G3 machines), & works perfectly!

thx for pointing me the direction.

Helge.
alles wird gut.