Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753885 Members
7384 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: fabric segments between two switches

Alvin_16

fabric segments between two switches

Hello every one..Iam having a problem connecting a brocade Silkworm 3250 switch (ID2) to a brocade Compaq Storageworks 16 ports SAN switch(ID1).The distance between the swithces is about 300 meters using a 62.5 micron cable. When we tried to connect the cables on both sides, both switches will have an error "fabric segmented". Do i need to set something on the switches?
2 REPLIES 2
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Alvin,

The general cause of the problem you describe is zoning conflict - the switch (ID2) that you are trying to connect to the existing fabric with SAN switch (ID1) is likely to have a config (with something in its config file) which is different to the config on your switch with ID1. For all switches to behave nicely and basically WORK in a fabric the configuration on all of them MUST be identical as in PID format, etc. At the same time all the switches in the fabric must have some unique attributes such as name, IP, DOMAIN ID, etc.

As a fix to your problem, I would suggest you perform the following:
1. check that both switches have the same PID format.
2. on your switch (ID2) - run "config clear" command followed by "config save". Config clear to erase the existing config on this switch and "config save" to make this change permanent that is to save it into the switch's nvram.
3. Now connect the ISLs between the two switches. Switch with ID2 should now learn the config from switch with ID1 from scratch, which is what you want!

Hope this helps and if the answer is of any help to you, consider assigning points :)

Cheers,

Alvin_16

Hi Saket,

I tried the "config clear" command on switch ID2 but the command failed, seems like there is no "clear" parameter under config command. The switch ID2 is using Fabric OS v4.2.0b while switch ID1 uses v2.6.1c.Also, I've checked the PID format on both switches. Switch ID1 has PID format=0 while switch ID2 has PID format=1. I tried to set the PID format on switch ID2 to 0 to be identical w/ switch ID 1 but the parameter shows only 1..2 integer. What if I change the PID format on switch ID1 from 0 to 1?Would it affect the configuration of the switch?
Thanks Very Much....
Alvin