4531 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: frame relay LMI type

knite
Occasional Advisor

frame relay LMI type

Hello,
Im configuring SR 7103dl , Im want to change the LMI type for fram relay, but each time I try the router crashs.
I have another router, and im connected to the local provider, I think he have cisco routers.
any one knows the reason?
thank you!
5 REPLIES 5
Mohieddin Kharnoub
Honored Contributor

Hi

Make sure both sides LMI type on the Standard Ansi one.

Also check the DLCI, and try to post the error message you are getting.

Good Luck !!!
Science for Everyone
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Hi,
regardless of the LMI type, the router shouldn't crash. What software version are you using? Make sure you use the latest software which is J06_06.
One thing you might want to do first is shut down you physical interface before you make the changes. If it's a T1:
Interface t1 1/1
shutdown

make changes to frame relay interface...

interface t1 1/1
no shutdown
If the rotuer still crashes with J06_06 software, open a support ticket with ProCurve support.
Also, look at:
ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/FR-sample3.zip

knite
Occasional Advisor

the connection is over serial, and I will update the firmware and check, is it possibly a hardware failure ?
and a Tellabs NTU is connected to this router through V.35 serial cable and in turn 256 Kbps line is connected to this modem through RJ45 connector. I have purchased MPLS IP VPN service over frame-relay circuit from service provider so this router is acting as CE router for service provider network. When I am changing the LMI type of the router it gets crashed, reboots itself.
I forgot to tell you one important thing, service provider gave us DLCI No 128 to be configured at our branch router but when I configure DLCI 128 on the router I get the following messages . What I can understand from these messages is that either they has configured DLCI 115 on their Frame-Relay switch or they have connected wrong Frame-Relay switch port to our router.

2000.02.03 20:44:12 Port 1 vc 115: VC 115 is inactive because the internal peer is inactive.
2000.02.03 20:44:12 Port 1 vc 115: DTE signaling wants to bring up VC 115
2000.02.03 20:44:12 Port 1 vc 128: DTE signaling taking down VC 128
2000.02.03 20:44:50 FRAME_RELAY.LMI Port 1 vc 115 (unused): state changed to Inactive at the switch2000.02.03 20:44:50 Port 1

And after configuring DLCI 115 I don├в t get these messages and DLCI gets up but when I tries to ping directly connected ip I don├в t get through.

thank you all
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

The error message indicates that the signalling wants DLCI 115 instead of 128. Yes, talk to your service provider and ask them to check if their config is correct. Tell them that signalling indicates 115 instead of 128.
When you get this fixed, we can worry about IP connectivity. BTW: Do you use NAT internally? If so and you are trying to ping from the router you need to specify the source address when you ping.
For the serial interface:
interface serial 1/1
shutdown
reconfigure frame relay.....
interface serial 1/1
no shutdown
knite
Occasional Advisor

solved