Switches, Hubs, and Modems
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help concerning choice of procurve switch (2524 or 2626)

Rony Zeitoun
Occasional Visitor

help concerning choice of procurve switch (2524 or 2626)

To the occasion of the removal of our company, we will buy new switches
The configuration of the offices is as follows :

A main office and a Secondary office distant from approximately 60 meters
In the Main office we need 3 24 ports switch and only one 24 port switch in the secondary.

Is it possible to stack 3 switchs with 2 stacking kit (J4116A) and the another one with 2 100/1000-T transceivers and a Cat5e or Cat6 cable between the 2 offices

Last question :

I envisaged to use 4 procurve 2524. Is it possible to use the new 2626. Can you give some informations about differences between the 2524 an dthe new 2626

Thanks
2 REPLIES
Gonzo Granello
Valued Contributor

Re: help concerning choice of procurve switch (2524 or 2626)

Hi,

personally i would go with 2800 series switches since you get more "bang for your money" and it is not that much more to make it future proof. I would use 3 2848's total. That way you have the same equipment and enough ports just in case. The connection between the 3 of them could be a dual gigabit Copper trunk for redundancy since you have 4 "uplink" ports each.

To answer your question: you could also go the route you described but im not sure that is cost effective. The main difference between the 2500 and 26/2800 series are the dual personality connectors (don't have to buy extra tranceivers if you use cat5e) and in case of the 2800 series that all ports are 10/100/1000 !! If you have any more Questions, just post a reply and i will get an email for that.

Andreas Koertel
ProCurve Tech Marketing
L3 Switching Routers
Wireless Security Systems
most time the day i have to mask my contempt for the a-holes in charge......
Stuart Teo
Trusted Contributor

Re: help concerning choice of procurve switch (2524 or 2626)

Hi,

If the choice is strictly between the 2500s and 2600s then I'd say go for the 2600s. There are many improvements in both h/w and s/w (firmware). One thing I really like that RSTP is now supported in 2600s.

For scalability, I really really recommend the 5300xl. I can create 1 VLAN per 24 port blade, for example, get the 5300xl to route between the VLAN. Very nice for "paritioning" your traffic and enhancing security.
If a problem can be fixed, there's nothing to worry. If a problem can't be fixed, worrying ain't gonna help. Bottom line: don't worry.