108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

help me with LLDP-MED Please.

SOLVED
Go to solution
jesus rosas_2
Occasional Advisor

help me with LLDP-MED Please.

i want to configure a Procurve 5412zl to enable the LLDP-MED compatibility i need see the packet in wireshark.
Do you have any idea to make the configuration en Procurve 5412zl?

thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: help me with LLDP-MED Please.

jesus, on provision-asic switches (35xx/54xx/62xx/8212) LLDP-MED is enabled...

generically, LLDP-MED is for end-point devices such as VoIP phones...if they have such features in them (and alot of VoIP phones don't support LLD-MED) then your 5212 can do some cool automatic deployment functions...

see the MCG manual, chapter 14, starting at page 56 for more info:

http://cdn.procurve.com/training/Manuals/3500-5400-6200-8200-MCG-Jan08-14-NetMgmt.pdf

in order to catch a packet with LLDP-MED info in it, you'll have to have a VoIP phone with LLDP-MED capability, then monitor/mirror a port to catch the packet...

hth...jeff
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

you can want use wireshark on 5412 switch

you can enable mirror port see for all traffic

switch> enable
switch# configure
3- define interface 4 as mirror port (This port is monitoring the monitored interfaces which are defined later)
switch(config)# mirror-port ethernet 4
4- define monitored port (the traffic of these ports is monitored by interface 4)
switch(config)#interface ethernet 1
switch(eth-1)# monitor
5- save your configuration

cenk
cenk

jesus rosas_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again, for your answers.

In the switch 5412zl, I was configure, the port A2, like the lldp-med support, and the port A5 like the mirror / monitor port. I was used, cisco IP telephone in the port a2.

I was used the next lines in CLI to enable the LLDP-MED in the switch:
(config)# lldp run
(config)# lldp config a2 medtlvenable location_id
(config)# lldp config a2 medportlocation civic-addr MX 11 AsciGdl
(config)# lldp config a2 medportlocation elin-addr AsciGdl2.

In Wireshark I receive the packet LLDP MULTICAST, but never receive the packet of lldp-med whit the information in ├в bold and italic├в .

I don├в t know if I need put another line in CLI to enable the lldp-med support. In the MCG manual, says is enable.

Thanks a lot.
We├в d appreciate your comments.
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

does your cisco phone support LLDP-MED?

i didn't think cisco had implemented LLDP-MED in their phones yet, as they have CDP...and CDP is proprietary to cisco, where LLDP-MED is an industry standard...

maybe that is why you are not seeing the data you expect??

hth...jeff
jesus rosas_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi Jeff!!!
Really I don├в t know if the Cisco Ip Phone support LLDP-MED, But Is it necessary to set the media device, in order to see the packages?

Because I only can see the LLDP MULTICAST, but never the LLDP TLV civic address.

Thanks for your help!!!
regards...
Jesus Rosas
jesus rosas_2
Occasional Advisor

ok, I have any screen shots.
please see the attachments.
Jeff Carrell
Honored Contributor

i can say this, i took a mitel 5212 which does support LLDP-MED, put it on my 3500 running K.12.57 and K.13.09 code levels, did a 'show lldp info remote ' and i could see LLDP-MED info...

i didn't have the optional features configured on the switch or phone...

at this point i can't offer anymore assistance...

i still think that the cisco phone doesn't LLDP-MED at all, and you are not going to see any LDP-MED related info because of that problem...

regards...jeff
Bengt Sjoberg
Frequent Advisor

The newer Cisco IP-phones (eg 7961, 7911)with latest firmware supports LLDP-MED. Older phones (eg 7912) does not support it.
Many of the Procurve switches (eg 26xx, 29xx)also support it. 28xx an 17xx and 18xx do not support LLDP-MED.
All this from my own experience 6 months ago when we implemented Cisco Call Manager in a HP Procurve LAN.
jesus rosas_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks!!!
Well with that information, I see more clearly in this problem. I need to find another way to see the packets, because this is my problem.
I can, too, see the information of the plugged device, in the switch, but in Wireshark never see the packets lldp-med.
If I solve the problem, I will return and share the answer.