1748222 Members
4626 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to get brocade SAN switch model info

Byron Myers
Trusted Contributor

how to get brocade SAN switch model info

Without physically looking at a brocade SAN switch - how can you determine its model (like silkworm 3200, etc)? I've tried telneting to the box and running commands like configshow, but to no avail.
If you can focus your eyes far and straight enough ahead of yourself, you can see the back of your head.
4 REPLIES 4
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Byron,

Are you using SAM (Storage Area Manager) on your SMA to manage all your SAN switches, storage arrays, SAN attached hosts, etc.

If yes, just fire up SAM from your SMA or via a web browser - and select the SAN you want to query things about - it provides a listing of all your switches - their diagrams, their models - basically everything - you would need to know! We use it as it makes it so easy to document such things - as it also provides the ability to just export all that data into a spreadsheet, visio, etc.

Regards,
Saket.
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Hi Byron,

Forgot to mention that alternatively you could also look at a FREE Brocade tool called "Fabric Explorer" - available on Brocade's site.

You just need to tell the tool to log on to one of your Fabric switches - so switch name/IP, username and password and from there on it extracts all the detailed information about the switch, its ports, zoning, performance, error counts and etc etc...

Hope it helps.
Byron Myers
Trusted Contributor

We're not any type of network management tool - just the basic log on to the switch and 'go at it'. I will try the Fabric Explorer, though.
If you can focus your eyes far and straight enough ahead of yourself, you can see the back of your head.
generic_1
Respected Contributor

There is no command that flat out identifies the model. However you can take the model verion and compare it to a chart that you will have to get from brocade that will tell you the info you want. Basically between that and the firmware I think is how all these other utilities do it.