3508 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

how to test internal switch test to eliminate network card problems

foler
Advisor

how to test internal switch test to eliminate network card problems

hello
We have 2848 switch and all my pcs is dell precision 690 with broadcom 57xx onboard 1gb lan ports (xp sp3). Test with netcps which send 100mb show arround 45-50Mbs. This test bypass any hdd drives and send data from ram. I try to connect two pc with crossover cable and results is the same. I try to configure tcp window size from 64k to 125k but no any +. On switch I have enabled flow control and qos-passthrough-mode. I try to configure different settings in driver nic cards but no success.

What I can to make maximum speed in netcps test? Real world copy files is arround 25Mbs but this is probably hdd limit.

thanks
1 REPLY 1
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: how to test internal switch test to eliminate network card problems

From a very brief look at what may be ancient netcps source, it appears to only send or receive 1024 bytes at a time. That may not "play" well. Perhaps nttcp or netperf will do better in that regard.

I would suggest that until you get the two "back to back" systems up to speed that you don't go trying too much in the way of switch configuration settings.

BTW, with a GbE NIC, one does not need to use a cross-over cable. The GbE specs require support for AutoMDIX, where the two endpoints of the cable figure-out which pairs should be rx and which tx - all automagically.

Also, when configuring TCP window sizes, that needs to be done at both ends.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows