Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748165 Members
3755 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: howto reset ifOutOctets when they saturate ?? (with snmp if possible ?)

Mute

howto reset ifOutOctets when they saturate ?? (with snmp if possible ?)

Hi

I try to monitor bandwidth on links between different switches on my network (a lot of procurve 2524 and one 4100).
For that I am using SNMP and I collect ifInOctets and ifOutOctets values but they usually saturate at 2147483647 (2^32 -1) and they don't reset automatically.
So I wonder if there is a way to reset the ifInOctets counter by snmp or if I miss somthing in the configuration that would make those counters reset automaticaly.

thank's a lot for your help.
3 REPLIES 3
Sergej Gurenko
Trusted Contributor

As from http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/SNMP/faq-snmpcounter.shtml

Q. When should 64-bit counters be used?

A. RFC 2233 adopted expanded 64-bit counters for high capacity interfaces in which 32-bit counters do not provide enough capacity and wrap too fast.

As the speed of network media increases, the minimum time in which a 32-bit counter wraps decreases. For example, a 10 Mbps stream of back-to-back, full-size packets causes ifInOctets to wrap in just over 57 minutes. At 100 Mbps, the minimum wrap time is 5.7 minutes, and at 1 Gbps, the minimum is 34 seconds.

---
Try to search for ifHCInOctets ifHCOutOctets 64 bit counters in Procurve Switches.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

My understanding is that you can't actually reset SNMP counters unless you reboot the switch. The counters should wrap though as Sergej has indicated, any SNMP management application should be able to handle this unless they are wrapping too fast in which case you should use the 64 bit counters.
Mute

Thank's a lot for your help
the 64bits counters fit my needs :)