1753867 Members
7297 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hp 4plus printer with external jetdirect box

Leslie A Shen_1
Occasional Contributor

hp 4plus printer with external jetdirect box

I just moved this printer from the main office to our remote office. I get all green lights at the jetdirect box and the hub, but using install network printer wizard it cannot see the printer. The problem, I believe is that when pushing test the jetdirect has an ip of 192.233.8.54 which the ip's at the remote site are 10.10.11...ip's at this site are manually assigned...how do I reassign the ip?
4 REPLIES 4
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Re: hp 4plus printer with external jetdirect box

You can "telnet 192.233.8.54" and see what options you have to setup stuff. You can usually get help by typing "?" or "/?" at the prompt. I hope you're lucky and have a newer jetdirect: I have set one long time ago I did not get any feedback from the jetdirect interface (I was not able to see what I typed after pressing Enter) - frustrating.
Ulla Herckenrath

press "on-line" to bring printer "off-line"
press Menu until you read MIO Menu
press Continue until you read: CFG Network = No*
press + - button to change to Yes
press Select to confirm: CFG Network = Yes *
press Continue to scroll through the protocols
(turn off other protocols except for TCP/IP
this is done by + - button and save pressing Select.
press Continue until CFG TCP/IP = No *
press + - to change to Yes
press Select
IMPORTANT -> Turn OFF BootP
Now you can enter the first ip-byte. You choose the correct value by pressing + -
Select by pressing Select
Now you give the seconf ip-byte, then the third and fourth
Then you will be able to give the subnet mask in the same manner.
Finally, press "on-line" to bring printer back on-line again.
happy printing, Ulla
Leslie A Shen_1
Occasional Contributor

I did try using the printer panel, however, the mio menu did not show up as an option...I poked around in all the menus and found nothing. What I ended up doing was resetting the ip to the default by doing a cold reboot and then doing a route add to each machine...would not have been an efficient way for my main office of 37, but the remote is only four workstations so it's all good....after all it is only their backup printer....thanks for your responses!
Ernest Ford
Trusted Contributor

You can't change the ip addresses on the external JetDirect boxes from the printer panel - you need to reset the JetDirect to factory default and then reprogram it using the JetDirect management software.