Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1748154 Members
3816 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp procurve 6208

chris rolke

hp procurve 6208

we have been getting some odd messages and problems with our procurve 6208 and i have been trying to update the firmware. upon trying to do this the system will error out and give the message TFTP: received error request -- code 4 message Unable to find requested file or read access denied. is there an easier way to update the firmware???????

i have been looking for a way to update the firmware so we can hopefully get this problem taken care of. we are using hp toptools ver 5.6 to try and update it..

currently the 6208 is useless to us without geting the problem solved. we have a had a bunch of problems with this unit right after purchase. current software is Software Version 06.6.16T41

thank you
4 REPLIES 4
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

I'm sorry to say this on HP-hosted forum: drop toptools because it will not help you(a guy on this forum said "it's a pig").

You can find freeware TFTP at SolarWinds.net which works flawlessly on W2k. This toy can send/receive simultaneously, and can talk to multiple destinations/sources. It took me 15 minutes to get along with it.

You can upload firmware to the switch using a serial connection, a serial communication program (like HyperTerm in Win) and the XMODEM on the switch's "Download OS" menu.
chris rolke

well i have turned off the top tools tftp server and downloaded one i believe it is the one you are talking about. i am still having some problems that have me ready to throw it out the window

back to more trouble shooting
OLARU Dan
Trusted Contributor

Chris,

If you have a HP Procurve Switch 6208M-SX machine (HP part number J4841A), I think you should also download the current boot code (07.1.08, 12.jan.2001), and after install reboot the SWT.

Read documentations carefully (for both the operating system and the boot code): maybe the boot code should be installed first and THEN the new OS should be installed - maybe this doesn't matter at all.

Go to http://www.hp.com/rnd/software/switches.htm to find the stuff.