Switches, Hubs, and Modems
1753349 Members
4885 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO 2 Recurring Lost Connection Problem!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bonowski
Occasional Advisor

iLO 2 Recurring Lost Connection Problem!

We havee 6 brand new HP DL380 G5 Servers, all with iLO 2 advanced pack registration. All are set up and live.

So here's the problem:
Each server's iLO (all 6) are connected, and I could access them locally in the network or remotely via vpn.

One day, about 4 weeks after I installed the servers, I couldn't access or ping any of them locally or remotely. No configurations changed.

I had to shut down each server and disconnect the power momentarily, reconnect power and turn the sever back on before I was able to access the iLO. Doing just a restart didn't work.

Now this is a recurring event that happens pretty much on a daily basis.

Any one have any idea?

Thanks in advance!
16 REPLIES 16
ed k.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi, did you see/check info on HP Support doc-s?:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3239514&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c01038053
and copy/paste entire next link to web:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3239514&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c00883105
and F.Y.I.
https://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33
:-) Ed K.
"If you see a house, you're convinced that there is a builder. If you see a garment, you're convinced that there is a tailor. If you see a universe, you are convinced that Someone created it." (R. Akiva)
Bonowski
Occasional Advisor

Hey Ed, thanks for the info!

I went to the first link and it says that this issue is extremely rare. This is happening on 6 out of 6 web servers...so I don't know if this is the issue, but I'll give it a shot.

and the second link doesn't seem to work.
ed k.
Honored Contributor

Please copy/paste the second link to the web page address and make sure at the end of the link you could see c00883105
"If you see a house, you're convinced that there is a builder. If you see a garment, you're convinced that there is a tailor. If you see a universe, you are convinced that Someone created it." (R. Akiva)
Bonowski
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, I got the page up.

All 6GB of RAM shows up on these severs, but I didn't add /PAE to the boot.ini.

Could this still be an issue?
ed k.
Honored Contributor

Please try to test and see with and without /PAE in the boot.ini and let me know results...
Bonowski
Occasional Advisor

OK, cool. Currently PAE is enabled. But I won't be able to restart the servers any time soon b/c they are live webservers.
Bonowski
Occasional Advisor

still no luck. :(
Bonowski
Occasional Advisor

fyi - plugging a laptop directly to the ilo via crossover cable doesn't work either.
ed k.
Honored Contributor

Please see/check if your problem description similar to:
An Integrated Lights-Out 2 (iLO 2) Shared Network Port may lose network connection when the server enters hibernation. This can occur on a HP server with the following configuration:
1. The server has Integrated Lights-Out 2 (iLO 2).
2. The server is configured with Microsoft Windows Server 2003 (any edition).
3. The server has an HP NC370i Multifunction Gigabit Network Adapter or Embedded NC373i Multifunction Gigabit Network Adapter.
4. The iLO 2 Shared Network Port is connected to a single mode 100 Mb/s (or faster) hub or switch.
For solution on listed above problems see next HP Support doc:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=1121516&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=1121516&objectID=c00779540