3663 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: inter VLAN routing.

Omar Davis
Occasional Advisor

inter VLAN routing.

can anyone help me with this?
I have a procurve 3400cl with 7 vlans setup, iphelper all that good stuff. for some reason the vlans wont communicate with each other. they will get to any switch on the topology or any vlan gate way but not to the nodes ont he vlan. but i can hit all nodes from the 3400cl switch it self. also routing is set up on the switch. does anyone know what configuration i'm missing here?

any suggestion would be aprecited.
10 REPLIES 10
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Hi Omar,

Check your default gateway is set correctly on the clients. If that's right, then please attach your switch config (remove anything sensitive).

Matt
Omar Davis
Occasional Advisor

Thank you for responding.
yes the gateway for all the vlans are set correctly. I thought that would have been the problem also. I also set the default gateway for the switch. I'm thinking the problem is routing related. But I think I have all the configurations for routing set up. here is the config.
Chris Foye

You have IP routing enabled but, no routing protocol configured.
Omar Davis
Occasional Advisor

I recently enabled protocol IP rip v1-or-v2 for all the vlans but that sitll did not solve the problem i'm having.
Omar Davis
Occasional Advisor

I think the problem could be related to the tagging of ports when moving them to a vlan. what is the proper configuration when using 802.1Q to configure VLANs. if i have ports 2 and 5 in vlan 3 and they are both tagged they will not communicate but if they are untagged then they will. Should I assume that this portion of the configuration is working correct?
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Right now with the configuration you have, all edge ports are untagged in VLAN1. You have a 2-port trunk which I assume is connecting to a second switch - this other switch also needs to be configured for a trunk and have tagging enabled on the exact same VLAN IDs.

If you want to test the routing on the 3400 itself, just untag a port for VLAN2 for example, connect a client and try pinging.

If you have a network map you can attach it would be helpful.
Omar Davis
Occasional Advisor

I'm only using the 3400 at the moment. the trunk is up and does operate correctly. If i have 2 or more ports in the same vlan on different switches it works fine. they can ping each other and all the vlan addresses but cant get to anything outside the vlan they are in. i attached a copy of the new config maybe something is wrong there.
Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

I wouldn't use the protocol VLAN parts you've put in there, shouldn't cause a problem though.

I think maybe you should contact support about this and log a call. Fill out this form first to save time:

http://www.hp.com/rnd/support/support_forms/sw5300.txt

Include a copy of the ipconfig from two of the clients and a packet capture if possible.

One last thing, a lot of firewalls on PC's these days don't let any icmp traffic through.

Matt
Omar Davis
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Matt. I came to find out that phone support at HP is free. so I will call them tomorrow. I did fill out that form at the link you sent. I apreciate everyones help.