1752812 Members
6155 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: intervlan routing on hp procurve 5304xl-URGENT

Eskinder Mesfin
Occasional Advisor

intervlan routing on hp procurve 5304xl-URGENT

hello guys i am a newbie for hp procurve and i just set up vlans on hp procurve as such:
vlan 1: internet vlan ip 192.168.2.4/24
vlan 1000: ots IP 10.1.1.1/24
vlan 2000 :4_afri ip 10.1.4.1/24
vlan 3000: access capital ip 10.1.11.1/24
vlan 4000: ezcall center ip 10.1.12.1/24

the ADSL router is cisco 800 serious and has internal interface ip of 192.168.2.1 and connected to untagged port of vlan 1.and i want every vlan to have internet connections

PROBLEM
once after i configured the switch i tried to ping from a test pc attached to the untagged port of vlan 1000 and can ping every vlan's ip address on the switch but when i tried to ping computer or the router's internal interface on other VLAN from this test pc the ping says REQUEST TIME OUT

requirment
1. i want every vlan to have internet connectivty
2.check out if there is a problem on my hp procurve 5304xl switch configurations

PLUS I HAVE A questions when i run show ip route static i would have a result 127.0.0.0/8 reject is that this statment that is blocking the ip routing .

plz do help me.
8 REPLIES 8
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

hi Eskinder
your switch config is true

please check your pc default gateway address
default gateway address must have vlan ip address

for example

vlan 1000 member pc
ip address 10.1.1.10/24
default gateway address 10.1.1.1

vlan 2000 member pc
ip address 10.1.4.10/24
default gateway address 10.1.4.1

also if you want go to internet all vlan member pc you must have write static route command your cisco router to your local network

10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 192.168.2.4

cenk

Eskinder Mesfin
Occasional Advisor

thnx for quick reply but i did a dg for each pc the ip of the vlan on the hp procurve 5304xl.
since the adsl belongs to the local ISP i cannot touch it so what else do you advice me to do so as to fulfill my requirments,i want to have every vlan ping to each other and has internet connectivitys
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

Ask you ISP to add the route. as long as they are not using any 10 networks upstream you can request the sumarised route as suggested. if not then you will need specific routes to your networks added by your ISP.

That is the only way to make it work as you config is fine.

Trev.
Eskinder Mesfin
Occasional Advisor

if that is the case and the confi is fine why did not i get a postive ping response from other pc in other vlan i just only ping the vlan's ip address only.
Trevor Commulynx
Regular Advisor

Does the Gateway on your Test PC match that of the corresponding VLAN interface for both PC's?

Have you checked the firewall isnt on on the test PC?

Can the other PC ping itself and its gateway?

the config is fine. if you are pinging between VLAN's on the switch, the IP routing will forward your requests to attached network node.
Eskinder Mesfin
Occasional Advisor

thanx but here is the real case on the beginning i have windows server 2003 attached in different vlans and having a default gateway of its own vlan but when i ping any thing except its own vlna i got a HARDWARE ERROR response but when i replace the server port with my laptop running win xp i got a good reply from every vlan ip but when i ping to one machine in any vlan i got request time out message and i use the same configuration on other hp procurve 5304xl switchs it is still the same.but i have one hp pro 2650 switch,is it layer 3?,can i use this switch to let other vlan to have internet connections ...plz do help me what shall i do
Eskinder Mesfin
Occasional Advisor

is there any other way that i should make the hp switch and the ADSL cisco routers to exchange routes since i cannot add static routes on the ciso adsl router b/c it belongs to ISP
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

>>>
when i run show ip route static i would have a result 127.0.0.0/8 reject is that this statment that is blocking the ip routing
<<<

see advanced traffic management guide page 7-15 :

By default, when IP routing is enabled, a route for the 127.0.0.0/8 network is created to the null interface. Traffic to this interface is rejected (dropped). This route is for all traffic to the ├в loopback├в network, with the single exception of traffic to the host address of the switch├в s loopback interface (127.0.0.1/32).