1753903 Members
9511 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion

ip console / server mouse keyboard problem

Gilbert Standen_1
Frequent Advisor

ip console / server mouse keyboard problem

we noticed a few days ago when we went to data center that when accessing servers in rack via ip console switch, mouse click on a SINGLE desktop icon was causing many (and sometimes ALL) desktop icons to be launched simultaneously. Also, keyboard sometimes is non responsive. We find this is also happening when we access same servers via pcanywhere. It would seem this means it must be something ON the servers causing this (doesn't it ?). we did a virus scan on the servers with latest virus def file from symantec - nothing found. the problem also seems to move around -- sometimes it is on one server, sometimes on another -- which then makes you go back and think "well, it must be in the ip console switch after all" since it does not seem to be localized to a specific server in that case. So, does anyone know, if you access server via pcanywhere, are you going through the ip console switch ? Or does ip console AND pc anywhere go through some common device to both access routes. Tomorrow we are going to boot with smart start CD and see how things look on a couple of servers. Also, we have been advised to upgrade firmware all over the system (servers, ip-console, dongles). Has anyone seen this sort of thing before, have any experience with a solution for this ?

An hp tech swapped out the ip console but problem did not change, so they put the original ip console back in. WE hooked up keyboard and mouse directly to console bypassing the "laptop like" keyboard and mouse terminal that slides out of the rack -- still same problem.
If I could take one thing with me into the next world it would be my valid login to HP ITRC Forums