1752419 Members
6521 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ip-helper with Avaya phone system on 2650 switch

Mark Alderson_1
Occasional Advisor

ip-helper with Avaya phone system on 2650 switch

I'm having problems getting this working on a test system in preparation for rolling live. This config is fairly basic but based on what we have currently.3

hostname "ProCurve Switch 2650-PWR"
ip routing
snmp-server community "public" Unrestricted
vlan 1
name "DEFAULT_VLAN"
no ip address
no untagged 1-50
exit
vlan 10
name "VOICE"
untagged 1,37
ip address 10.40.10.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 10.30.10.2
tagged 2-47,49-50
exit
vlan 20
name "DATA"
untagged 2-48
ip address 10.30.10.1 255.255.255.0
tagged 49-50
exit
password manager

DHCP relay is started but the phones will not get an IP address from the server on port 48 and I can't see why. Phone is on port 37 just to avoid confusion. I'm probably missing something obvious but ....
20 REPLIES 20
KSimpson
Frequent Advisor

Why are ports 2-37 untagged and Tagged on the 10 VLAN? Not sure if it will help before plug the phone into port 1. Ports 2-37 shouldnt be both untagged and tagged should they?

KSimpson
Frequent Advisor

Plus port 48 isn't tagged for the vlan 10. The traffic will never be seen on port 48.
Mark Alderson_1
Occasional Advisor

I'll give some background. Default config for this (which is currently running absolutely perfectly) has a DHCP server with 2 IP's, one running on each VLAN. I'm trying to bypass that with setting the ip helper-address. The current config has every port tagged for VOICE vlan (10) and the uplink ports only tagged for DATA vlan (20) with all other ports being untagged for data apart from the DHCP servers which are set to only communicate on their specific VLAN's.

Port 1 is missed simply as it's my test config, and the HP software has done one as it's reporting port 37 as being both tagged and untagged for vlan 10 which isn't possible, when in fact it is only tagged (I've reset the config to default and re-entered just to make sure).

I can make the config work by setting the DHCP server to have a NIC on each VLAN and allocate addresses accordingly BUT with the pressure to virtualise I'd only want a single NIC doing the work and have a secondary DHCP server sharing the addresses in event of failure.
Mark Alderson_1
Occasional Advisor

.. and the phones have a port off the back to plug your PC into so hence the ports requiring 2 VLAN's to be assigned.
EckerA
Respected Contributor

How do the phones know which vlan they should use?
do they speak lldp-med? then you need to enable it on the switch with:
vlan 10
voice
exit
wr mem
hth
alex
Mark Alderson_1
Occasional Advisor

Phones get the VLAN settings from the DHCP server. They should connect on VLAN 10 and as part of the config you have to set specific options for the phones within the DHCP scope which works fine. Just to re-iterate, with the DHCP server set with 2 addresses on 2 NIC's for the two ranges that works fine with pretty much this configuration.
EckerA
Respected Contributor

Sorry,
i am not really good with voip, here is what i mean:
your phones need to know which vlan (10 or 20) to use before making any dhcp requests. As far as i know there are three ways to do so:
1.) configure on the phone <- lot of work in large enviroments
2.)cdp <- doesn't work on hp switches as this is a cisco protocoll
3.)lldp-med <- open protocoll and supported (invented?) by hp

as your are playing in the lab just try lldp-med

hth
alex
Mark Alderson_1
Occasional Advisor

It's not required. The phone queries the DHCP server and is given a pointer if it doesn't know it's VLAN (which it remembers from it's last boot). The DHCP server can be seen on data VLAN with no grief so if I force a phone onto the data VLAN it get's the message back from DHCP telling it that it should be on VLAN 10 for voice and the phone drops the IP connection and reboots looking for the correct VLAN. That's when my problems start as it doesn't seem to be able to then find the DHCP server when on VLAN 10. I think it'll be specific to Avaya, there are a lot of official posts that have some of the information but certainly not everything. Sounds like routing to me but then ip routing is enabled so I'd expect it to be able to handle this. If I attach a laptop it goes for VLAN 20 as it should and grabs a DHCP lease so while this config is close it's not fully there. Should have some feedback from my supplier tomorrow but was wanting to see if anyone had any experience of this.
KSimpson
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, Am I missing something?

vlan 10
name "VOICE"
untagged 1,37
ip address 10.40.10.1 255.255.255.0
ip helper-address 10.30.10.2
tagged 2-47,49-50
exit

DHCP server on port 48 ?

Port 48 Isn't tagged aware in vlan 10. Should it be?