108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: is it possible to have a G4 printingHP4MV via ethernet and a cable modem

SOLVED
Go to solution
amy hassett
Frequent Advisor

is it possible to have a G4 printingHP4MV via ethernet and a cable modem

is it possible to have a G4 printing via ethernet and a cable modem via ethernet and networked to a PC to use the HP4mv I have only one ethernet port on the back of my G4. What would I need to get everything I want working correctly, right now I only have the HP4MV hooked up to the G4 in the one ethernet port (using a crossover ethernet cable)and everyting is working smoothly, Is this even possible? I would like detailed instructions t get this up and running and a list of specific items I need to buy. I am not networking savy (as of yet)but not afraid to try. Thank you, AMY
6 REPLIES 6
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor
Solution

If I understand clearly, you have a G4 bo, with an ethernet port, and you wish to connect ther both a printer and a cable modem ? I am right ?

If so, just buy yourself a 'hub', 3 straight ethernet cables, and it'll work? Connect one cable from your G4 to the hub, then on the hub (which has several ethernet ports), connect one cable to the modem, and the other to the HP4MV.

Be just cereful on one thing : the cable specifications of your modem : the hub itself is inside crossover, this means that if you need to use crossover cable from G4 to modem, then use 2 staight cables. If you need straight cables, thenuse crossover from hub to modem.

hth

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
amy hassett
Frequent Advisor

Yes, you are right I would like the G4 to be connected to Cable modem and 4MV printer and PC to use 4MV printeras well. Thank you for your response, Does the HUB have to be AppleTalk capable?
Joe Elliott_1
Frequent Advisor

In response to your last question, hubs don't know or care what kind of data you send through them, so it doesn't have to be "AppleTalk capable," per se.
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Yes, confirming Joe's tip, a hub acts as a electric multi-adaptor, which doesn't care about your plugin a lamp or a computer, it just dispatches electricity.
So does the hub just dispatch signal received, without paying attention to its nature.

(Do not get mix with a switch, which has some of the ability you talk about : be sure to buy a hub, not a switch : cheaper and easier to use).

Tks fr yr points !

J
amy hassett
Frequent Advisor

SUCCESS! Thank you so much for those sites they helped me get my mac up and running again, I needed to move two things to the desktop, multi user preferences and multi user startup extension. ust in case any of you helpful types can use that info in the future. I bought a switch not a hub I hope that is okay and I am now able to print from my mac and go online from my mac and I can go online with the PC but I still need to get to print from the PC to the HP4MV I have hooked up to the mac G4 running OS 9.2.1 (via ethernet switch) Thanks everyone who helped, I am hoping I get this this thing figured out.
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

Glad it worked !

To share your printer, I suggest you ask on a Mac forum... I know it's under printer configuration menu, but I kwo that there are differences between rinters type and I can't guide you here.
But when it'll be shared, come back here if needed, we'll tell you how to set it up from your PC...

J