5078 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: linkup-linkdown on switch

Carsten M
Regular Advisor

linkup-linkdown on switch

Hallo!

A pc with w2k (latest servicepacks) run normal on a port of a 5304xl (lacp dis, stp=fast, speed= auto).
The user makes a long break for work or he logs out ifself.

Why i see on my switch a linkdown and a linkup?
The pc has a problem with the receive of his userprofile, it was not found on the first attempt of the pc.
It is a windows problem or a switch problem, with the Autonegotioationfunction or other?

cm60
6 REPLIES 6
Bill Costigan
Honored Contributor

I suspect the PC is set to sleep if it hasn't been used for some period of time. In the power save mode, power to the NIC can often be turned off. So power to the NIC is dropped which is the same to the switch as disconnecting the cable.
Carsten M
Regular Advisor

Hi Bill!

I had also thought that.

But, why the link is the whole time UP and straight with to logon on workstation goes it briefly down?
cm60
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

A NIC with WOL should maintain a link status but may renegotiate the link speed when the OS takes over. I would suspect the drivers and focus the attention there.
Carsten M
Regular Advisor

HI Les!

WOL. Is it Wake over LAN?

Tanks and have a nice weekend
cm60
Les Ligetfalvy
Esteemed Contributor

Yes, WOL = Wake On LAN

I am about to replace a bunch of Nortel switches with HP once they get out of my test lab so I don't really have any experience with how HP switches deal with WOL. I know on my Nortel switches, they report as a 10 meg link while the PC is off and change to 100 after boot. With the exception of some old Nortel 350F-HD switches, link issues have always been a driver issue.

I will have to test more in my lab on the HP switches.
Carsten M
Regular Advisor

hw-problem with nic-driver
cm60