4821 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

matric based routing

Ashok K Gurung
Frequent Advisor

matric based routing

Hi

we have been trying to use our two Hp switches (5308XL and 3400cl) to do routing base on link status but we have been unsuccessful. we will appreciate if any one can give some hints for following sinarios

we have two sites and each has one link to internet and private VPN connection to each other. we also have ipsec vpn through internet between our two firewalls.

we are using these two hp switches as our core/edge switch as well as doing routing for us in each site. we would like to setup routing table such a way that if in case one link goes down we would like to direct all traffic through other link.

some one suggested to use matric/cost based routing in switch but we are not able to find exact command for these two switches.

we only have around 10 stattic routing entry in each switch so we would like this to be simple one.

Thank you in advance
11 REPLIES 11
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Re: matric based routing

Hi,

Instead of "metric" using "distance".
Just a different way of "weighing" the route.
Example:
ip route 10.0.0.0/24 192.168.1.1 distance 20.

Good luck
Ashok K Gurung
Frequent Advisor

thank you for the reply but unfortunately when i try using command you suggested it gave me following error

HP ProCurve Switch 5308xl(config)# ip route 10.0.21.0/24 192.168.1.1 distance 20

Invalid input: distance

thank you
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Sorry,
misread your message.
On 53xx and 34xx not possible.
54xx and 35xx support this.

Matt Hobbs
Honored Contributor

Maybe you can use a dynamic routing protocol to overcome this? RIP and OSPF are supported on those switches.
Ashok K Gurung
Frequent Advisor

thanks guys now we have to investigate more on dynamic routing. do any one know good resource site which will be help full for us?
have and will be appreciated.

thank you

Ashok K Gurung
Frequent Advisor

hi Guys

i am going through rip documents but i am bit confused in setting up rip routing table for our case.

i will appreciate if you guys can give us some help how to best configure rip routing for our case.

Thank you
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Without the full topology, it is hard to give you any recommendation. What VPN/Internet routers are you using?
VPN connections are for unicast traffic only. If you want to get broadcast (RIPv1) or Multicast (OSPF) traffic across the VPN link, you have to configure a GRE tunnel (on the WAN/VPN router).
Please provide a drawing of your topology and device your are using.
Ashok K Gurung
Frequent Advisor

Hi and thanks for replying

i have attached our network diagram for your information and below are the devices information

Router = Cisco (Managed by ISP and used for our private IP VPN)
Firewall = Juniper SSG140 and Juniper SSG20
Edge Routing Switches = Procourve 5308xl and Procourve 3400cl

let us know if you required more information
Olaf Borowski
Respected Contributor

Can you connect the Powertel VPN connection on the Firewalls instead of Dell switches?
If you can do that, you wouldn't need a dynamic routing protocol. You would only have a static route on the 53xx that points to the Juniper box. The Juniper boxes would do the appropriate routing based on your preference (configure metrics on the Juniper boxes).

Hope this helps.